curious about master electrician exam

Old 12-15-06, 05:51 PM
curious about master electrician exam

I'll have been doing electrical work for going on 4 years now and my boss has offered to help me do what I need to do to get a masters license. I've been working with everything from over-head power lines to new home wiring. As well as industrial motor controls and lot and lots of conduit work. That being said, I know there are a few master electricians floating around here, I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on the best way of preparing for the test. Also what to expect from the test. And maybe if anyone knew of any prep tests a guy could find online (I goggled for them and turned up little to nothing). I have no intentions of trying the test until I'm 100% prepared. I would really like to do this while i'm still young and with my college training still somewhat fresh in my memory.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-06, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The first thing is to tell us what State you are in. Even what part of the state.
EVERY area is different. The only accurate information you will get is from someone who knows your area for certain.

There is no National license and most states don't have statewide licensing either.

Old 12-15-06, 08:04 PM
Speedy is right, The states and counties vary.

In Mass. you need (it's been a while).
It now is 5 years apprentice ship,(8000, hours) Plus school time.Trade school hours count towards work hours. Thats for the journeymens lic.

Now, you must hold the journeymans for 1 year and complete 200 hrs +- of school, before you can test for the Masters.

It's late, I may have some figures wrong. But I think you get the jist.

Some states you only need proof of working in the feild for X amount of time.

Old 12-16-06, 06:38 AM
I live in northeast Iowa, about the only requirement I know of is that you must have at least 2 years under a master and I know there is so many hours too but I don't know what. But I might be wrong on that though.

Old 12-16-06, 06:54 PM
Thumbs up

Get in touch with the local board. Or a master. Find out the requirements.

These should be readily available through your state web-site.

2 years under a master-- How do you become a Master to begin with?

Stick with it, A good career move. because us old guys are getting tired.
The posibilities are "endless". There are tons of power and wires in "wireless",
Don't let anyone fool you.

In this state. A Master is basicaly a bussiness lic. You cannot work with the tools unless your journeymans is intact. (I think this is a SCAM) More money for them every three years (You must renew each).

Good luck, and welcome to the trade!

Old 12-16-06, 08:09 PM
Hey thanks for the info, I'll just have to keep searching around, maybe call some people. I can see I need to get a definite answer on how much work I need to do to get a license. I'm not in a hurry to do this, just going to take my time with it. I've been doing this work like i said and everyday it seems like I still learn something new, thats what keeps me doing it .

Old 12-16-06, 08:25 PM
Wink

For me... over twenty years.. Always something new.. (Coz' of those engineer/scientist types) But that's the fun and beauty of the trade. A million and one different directions you can take. And they all are changing.

Document your time and employers, you'll need this info.
Don't take too much time, Life is short.