receptacles in parallel

Old 12-18-06, 06:16 AM
Question receptacles in parallel

I am new on this.
I did 4 receptacles in parallel according to the book, when I check all receptacles are correct, but when i plug something and try to turnit on, does not work.
What do I need to check and modify ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 06:17 AM
Do not use the terms parallel or serial when referring to electrical wiring. It only confuses people.

Describe how you wired them and how they check as "correct".

Old 12-18-06, 06:30 AM
Just a small addition to Bob's query is be sure to tell us where you got your power source for the receptacles....ie....switch box, another receptacle, main panel, light fixture etc....

Roger

Old 12-18-06, 10:55 AM
Angry Receptacles

OK, the power comes from a wire from the house (this is for my garage storage).
What i did was put 3 outlets, I joined the black wire (Hot) through a pigtail with the next outlet, and to the golden screw, same with the white wire to the silver screw and the ground to the ground on each outlet.
When I use an aoutlet tester, reads everything correct, but as soon as I plug something and turnit on, the reading from the outlet tester changes to hot and ground wires reversed.
What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any help.

Old 12-18-06, 11:09 AM
Be more specific about where you grabbed power from. I suspect you may have tapped a switch loop.

I am also having trouble understand how you wired each receptacle. Can you elaborate on that please.

Old 12-18-06, 11:46 AM
Question receptacle

The power comes from the house, it is buried, only has hot, neutral and ground, I do not know where exactly is comming from.

How can I check if I tapped a switch loop like you say?

Old 12-18-06, 12:19 PM
This might take a few tries but eventually we will get there. If I am understanding things right you have run an underground direct burial cable to a detached garage seperate from your house.

Did you cut a cable in the house and put in a junction box or did you splice inside an existing switch box ?

Roger

Old 12-18-06, 12:38 PM
Question receptacle

The cable was already there, I just made an addition to the garage and I am trying to add more receptacles.

I have no idea where the cable goes iside the house.

What I notice is that this cable is attached to the main breaker, I tryied on and off all the breakers and the only one that cuts the power is the main.

Old 12-18-06, 01:22 PM
Ok first thing we have to establish is how to remove power from that underground cable feeding the garage. Is the main breaker installed in the panel with the other breakers or is it remote from the panel that has all the branch circuit breakers?

Roger

Old 12-18-06, 01:43 PM
Question receptacle

The main breaker is installed in the panel with the other breakers.

Old 12-18-06, 02:25 PM
You need to find out what that cable is attached to. You should have done this first. You had better hope you didn't tap a 220 volt line.

Just exactly how did you tap into this line.

You still haven't answered the questions about how you wired these new receptacles.

Old 12-18-06, 02:56 PM
We need several things answered. So answer the following carefully so we can start to get an understanding of what is going on. Lets start with Bobs question. Also please answer all of Bobs questions.... this is important.

1.) How did you wire the receptacles..explain from the power source to each receptacle.

2.) What did this power source cable serve before you spliced to it?

3.) If the power to this cable can be removed by turning off the main breaker in the panel then you have missed something. Are you turning off all the double pole breakers and single pole breakers?

4.) Do you have a voltage tester (not a receptacle tester) and do you know how to use it?

Roger