Electrical advice please

Old 12-18-06, 07:45 AM
Question Electrical advice please

I am in the proccess of remodelling my recroom after Christmas ,I am going to be adding some recepticals on the wall for my home theater setup . How many plugs can i run of 1 15 amp breaker in my fuse panel ?..and is there code requirements for distance from the ground up when mounting the box ,I have heard its 12 inches ,is this true . Also I have read that its a wise idea to use those GFI plugs for basement remodelling projects .

Last edited by drvnguy; 12-18-06 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no minimum height requirement.

GFI protection is not required for finished basements.

The is no limit in residential for how many receptacles can be on one circuit. What matters is how much of a load is plugged in to the receptacles.

Old 12-18-06, 08:32 AM
Smile

Thanks for the quick reply

Old 12-18-06, 08:40 AM
I had a reply that somehow got lost. Anyway..

I recommend a single 20 amp circuit for your home theater. I recommend 20 amp circuits for everything else. I recommend against 15 amp circuits unless you have a very compelling reason for them.

For a finished basement you need to comply with receptacle spacing requirements. Simplified, this means at least one receptacle per wall and at least one receptacle every 12 feet, starting no more than 6 feet from any doorway or other divider. No GFCI protection required for finished basements (except for a bathroom).

There is no minimum receptacle height. They can be in the baseboard if you want. There is a maximum height, but that is usually not an issue. I recommend whatever seems right to you, or just go with the height in the rest of the house.

Old 12-18-06, 08:41 AM
Question though, why not run 20 amp? And I thought home theater guys wanted isolated ground, hospital grade recepticals?

Old 12-18-06, 08:51 AM
An isolated ground receptacle in a residence is a waste of money.

Old 12-18-06, 11:17 AM
Agreed that isolated ground is a waste in a residence.

I would however, recommend that you consider the 20 amp, dedicated circuit for home theater.