Quickeee Code question

Old 12-18-06, 05:00 PM
Quickeee Code question

Code question:

What does NEC require (if anything) regarding the height of wiring run through wall studs? I know some local codes will require receptacle wiring to be 1ft above the outlets.... but am not sure if the NEC has specifications on the subject. I also know the wiring should be no less than 1.5 inches above the base plate (if I read that part correctly). Is wiring to ceiling fixtures (that has to run through the wall to get to the proper location) regarded as the same?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 05:09 PM
Not sure I understand your question.
One code item that I think you are refering to requires the wires going through a stud to not be closer than 1.25 inches to the surface of the stud unless you provide a nail plate to prevent screw/nails from penetrating the stud and wire.

Old 12-18-06, 05:18 PM
Question refers to the location (height) of the wiring running through vertical studs. Example, if I have 8 foot wall studs, can I run my horizontal wiring anywhere within that 8 foot height - or are there limitations according to the NEC?

Old 12-18-06, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any height. No limitations.

Old 12-18-06, 05:24 PM
Much thanks for the speedy response.... I was under that impression - but wasn't sure.

Old 12-18-06, 07:32 PM
No limitations. They don't even need to run through the studs. They can come up from below or down from above. They can go at angle or zig zag if you like.

Old 12-18-06, 08:10 PM
Alright.. don't get carried away now... all I want to do is pass code on a couple of walls in my basement... not create a work of art :-) Thanks to you both....

Old 12-19-06, 03:24 AM
I will tell you that neatness and quality go a long way in inspectors eyes - run the wire straight pretty close to level and gracefull turns, it really does'nt take that much more time staple within 1 foot of the box and every 4 ft. on the runs - my code is a little rusty in residential -
But any job worth doing is worth doing well

Old 12-19-06, 06:47 AM
I have to agree 100% with that thought. In my experience, if an inspector walks into a construction site that is neat, clean (well, at least swept up), and organized... he's going to start off with a positive attitude. All wires should be rolled up and labeled in the boxes, stapled neatly at proper intervals, and fairly obvious as to where they're headed. If he walks into the room and promptly gets a nail in his boot - well, let's just say - you're off on the wrong foot!

Old 12-19-06, 08:16 AM
A couple things I noticed. I'm no pro just a do it yourselfer, but the "go at an angle" comment I believe is incorrect. Wires need to be run horizontally between studs. No angles.

Also, if these are plastic boxes, you need a staple within 8" of the box. If it is a metal box with a box clamp then 1'-0" is fine.

I read that for normal recepticles (12" above floor), running wires ~20" above the floor is the norm.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. I feel the best way to learn is to get involved.

Dan

Old 12-19-06, 08:54 AM
Well, I do have a couple of studs that have an angle run through them - getting the wiring to go up and over the wall to the ceiling.... Anyone have another point of view?

Old 12-19-06, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As joed said, the CODE does not require that you run wires in straight, levels paths so long as you maintain appropriate support and bend radii. Good workmanship practices suggest that you do a nice, neat job with wiring run purposefully through the stud cavities. In other words: if the wires run haphazardly around the room, you probably didn't take the time to plan out the circuit correctly. If you have to take an angle to accommodate some structural or framing member -- that's fine. Moreover, good sheetrockers (if you can find them) will take note of the height of the wires and avoid driving screws directly over them; if you're consistent with the height, it's easier for them to avoid wires.

The typical height of the wires in the wall is roughly based on how tall your helper is and where the angle drill rests comfortably on his knee as he drills the 400 holes required for the job. Somewhere in the 20-24" from the floor range.

Old 12-19-06, 09:41 AM
I appreciate that Ben. I agree with the workmanship issue - and all my wiring is "sano", so to speak. As I was working around boxes on different levels, I ran one set of wires at an angle through the studs.... Looks clean and organized.... just wanted to make sure it was legal. And... as I'm the sheetrocker.... I'll not have an issue missing the wire layout (not to mention it's exposed on the "back" of the wall (storage space in basement) and will remain accessible/visible for future reference. (helper??? what's a "helper"? :-) )

Old 12-19-06, 03:13 PM
"Also, if these are plastic boxes, you need a staple within 8" of the box. If it is a metal box with a box clamp then 1'-0" is fine."

NM stapling requirements for ALL boxes is 12". For single gang plastic boxes (only), with no clamps, it is 8".

Old 12-19-06, 09:09 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by william tell View Post
I will tell you that neatness and quality go a long way in inspectors eyes - run the wire straight pretty close to level and gracefull turns, it really does'nt take that much more time staple within 1 foot of the box and every 4 ft. on the runs - my code is a little rusty in residential -
But any job worth doing is worth doing well

Code clearly states "Neat and workman like manner".

Kind of a shame, after all that work they cover it up with wallboard.

Old 12-20-06, 03:15 AM
I will also add that inspectors are'nt always electricians and don't always know the code , you can always challenge an inspector - do it politely and ask for the article # or suppliment , I have seen them wrong before - if they refuse just call their boss