breaker

Old 12-18-06, 07:46 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
breaker

i think i know this one but want to make sure i am on right page.

the last two days a breaker keeps kicking i checked the out lets they seem good no bad wires reset the breaker and all the treadmills come up. but after lets say they all get used at same time the breaker kicks. i am thinking it a breaker going bad . any thoughts

Old 12-18-06, 07:54 PM
R
I am thinking you are overloading the circuit.

The words "all the treadmills come up" is a dead giveaway that you are overloading the circuit. Just how many tread mills are you trying to run on one circuit, and how much power does each one need?

Old 12-18-06, 07:59 PM
L
well i was thinking same thing but this set up has been working like this for six months that i have been there with no problems

Old 12-18-06, 08:08 PM
R
That is not important. Motors get old and over time and may require more current. A breaker that is close to tripping may reach the point where it finally decides to trip.

How many tread mills are you trying to run on one circuit, and how much power does each one need?

I am concerned about two issues.

This sounds like a business of some sort. This means lots of liability, especially if a non-electrician starts chyanging things.

A circuit used for this purpose needs to conform 100 percent to the manufacturers requirements. Do you even know what these are? A circuit should certainly not be loaded to more than 80 percent of it's rating, meaning 80 percent of 20 amps (or 80 percent of 15 amps if, God forbid, this is a 15 amp circuit).

Don't continue to trip the breaker, or you will need a new one.

Obtain the power requirements for these units and the manufacturer's instructions. Go from there.

Old 12-18-06, 08:22 PM
L
no its a 20 amp and theres three on it. but your right i have not thought about the load from age ill have to look into it since there allmost a year old but they were put in by the company bought from or they wouldnt be covered still .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: