Advice needed on possible problem?

Old 12-19-06, 09:38 AM
Question Advice needed on possible problem?

Hi guys, I was helping my mate fit some lights a couple of weeks back. We bought all the lights from homebase and were just replacing the old bulb on a wire types.

Now this all went fine apart from the last one, where I didn't pay attension and then realised I was looking at 6 wires, 3 red 3 black, and didn't think about what was what. So I wired it up as I thought it should be 3 red together and 2 blacks into one side of the new light the other black to the other side of the light.

Everything has been working fine, but last week all the lights stoped working, appart from this one! he tripped the circuit and its come back on. a week later its happend again. The problem I see is that the black circuit wire and the black switch return are the wrong way round. What I want to know is will that still provide a live circuit, or would you immediatly get a system over load that would trip the circuit?

Please let me know if you agree with me or have another idea of what might be causing this power loss to the light circuit.

My mate out getting a multimeter so I can check the continuity of the wires to find the switch wires.....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could you please list your location in the post or in your profile? Electrical systems are quite different around the world, and without that information you could get incorrect advice.

> Everything has been working fine, but last week all the lights stoped...

> Please let me know if you agree with me or have another idea of what
> might be causing this power loss to the light circuit.

Usually, an intermittent failure on a lighting circuit like the one you're describing is the result of a loose connection that is heating up and coming apart. When the wires cool slightly, the connection will remake and power comes back on.

I recommend that you retrace your steps of adding the new light fixtures and make sure that all of the connections are made good and tight with wirenuts. The cheap all-plastic wirenuts that come with most light fixtures are worthless -- if you used them, throw them out and buy a pack of good ones with the metal spring inside the plastic cap.

> The problem I see is that the black circuit wire and the black switch
> return are the wrong way round.

The polarity on a switch loop doesn't matter.

Old 12-19-06, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the information. We have checked the circuit and the switch and ciruit are on the right connectors. This means there is another problem somewhere. I will check every other connection as maybe there is a loose wire. I can't see it being anything else, as if it was a fully scrwed in circuit an there was a problem surley it would be a problem always, not intermitten.

I live in UK, for anyone wondering about the wiring.