How to put my whole bath room on a separate circuit.

Old 12-19-06, 10:35 AM
How to put my whole bath room on a separate circuit.

Back with more questions on upgrading my old house. It seems that almost the whole house, other than what I have upgraded for the kitchen area, is on a 15amp Circuit. I would like to put the only bathroom in the house on a separate circuit so that I can run a hair dryer without tripping the circuit. The bathroom has only one outlet, and one fan/light combo. I am guessing they had piggy backed power from the only outlet in the bedroom to the bathroom outlet and from there to the light/fan . if thatís the case, does it make sense to disconnect the power from the outlet and just run a new wire to a new 15 amp circuit? What is the best way to approach this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 10:40 AM
Code says 20 amp, all by itself with GFCI on the receptical. Although, I *think* you can share the 20amp with another bathroom.

Old 12-19-06, 11:30 AM
That would be correct. I would leave the fan on the current circuit.. and run a separate 20amp circuit to the plug (gfci protected)

Old 12-19-06, 12:40 PM
ok, so i have to use 20 amp .. please refresh my memory, what size wiring i should use? 12? Also, would it be ok to share the gfci outlet and the fan/light on the same 20amp circuit? Why do u say to leave the light/fan on the existing circuit? There are already too many switches and outlest on the existing 15 amp circuit so i want to take the load of as much as possible . . this is a very very very old house and nothing is up to date or up to code ..

Old 12-19-06, 12:50 PM
As long as you only supply this one bathroom you can share with the fan and light. You must use #12 wire on the entire circuit. The cable to the fan and light will need to be #12 as well.

Old 12-19-06, 02:15 PM
ok, so i will be feeding the fan/light and outlet through the same 20amp circuit .. now i just have to figure out how to fish the wire all the way from second floor to basement !!!

one more question, my panel has 2 more spots left for 2 more brakers.. can u load up the box with as many circuit brakers as it allows u? or is there some limit ... what do we mean when we say a 100 amp and 200 amp circuit box?

Old 12-19-06, 02:53 PM
If you anticipate adding more circuits, you can do one of two things. You can put a double pole breaker in the two remaining spots and create a subpanel (search for many threads on this topic) or you could bite the bullet and get a service panel upgrade (not a DIY project as you need the poco involved.)

You could just use the remaining slots, there is no restriction, but you mentioned that you're going to be doing some rewiring projects.