Baseboard heater thermostat

Old 12-19-06, 05:02 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Baseboard heater thermostat

Have a 220V baseboard heater in bedroom.
appliance quit working recently. Thinking it might be the thermostat, a
White Rodgers one about 30 years old, spst, I replaced it with a new 220V one. As soon as I turned on the double breaKer it tripped one side. At this point I quit. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and what I should have done? The new tstat has two wires, RED and BLACK. I hooked these across the two leads in the box to which the old tstat was attached. Evidently that doesn't work. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by kwillie101; 12-19-06 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Add additional comment.
Old 12-19-06, 05:31 PM
because of the age of the old heater you may be looking at a wiring differential. make sure the ground and neutral are separate or together as the appliances designates.

Old 12-19-06, 07:32 PM
R
If your thermostat has two wires, it is the wrong thermostat. It is for a 120 volt load. You need a thermostat for 240 volts. You probably damaged it when you put 240 volts across it.

Install a 240 volt thermostat, just like the one you removed.

Old 12-21-06, 11:44 PM
K
Electric baseboard thermostat

The tstat I installed was supposed to be a 220V. tstat. The old one only had two lugs which i assumed was splitting one leg of the circut. Since this home was wired by the original owner who knows how he brought the power into the heater. It is a 220V hedater so I have no idea what is going on. Will check this out over Christmas and maybe have a nic e present.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: