MC Cable OK to use for this project?

Old 12-19-06, 07:01 PM
MC Cable OK to use for this project?

I am installing a new 20 amp outlet in my bathroom and have a couple of questions about MC cable. This new outlet will be installed in an existing built in cabinet (only real accessible place to install) and I would like to use MC cable. The cable will be exposed (inside the cabinet) but since it it MC cable I am assuming this will be OK to meet code? Second question, is it OK to use MC cable into an outside main breaker box comming in to the box via 2 inch rigid pipe from the top? The reason I ask is it would seem a little unsafe to allow the armor cable inside the main breaker box without somehowe fastening it to the box.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> installed in an existing built in cabinet (only real accessible place to install)
> and I would like to use MC cable. The cable will be exposed (inside the
> cabinet) but since it it MC cable I am assuming this will be OK to meet code?

By Code, MC cable offers no more protection of the conductors than NM (Romex); if you whack a piece of MC, you'll notice that the jacket crimps right into the conductors. It is primary used in (commercial) areas where PVC jacketed cable is unacceptable due to fire code.

Depending on how exposed the cable is in the cabinet interior, NM is probably just fine. If you're still concerned, sleeve the NM in EMT conduit or a metallic wiremold raceway.

> Second question, is it OK to use MC cable ... comming in to the box via 2
> inch rigid pipe from the top?

No; MC requires a proper box connector.

Old 12-20-06, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I now have another question from a seperate project but related to the MC question :-) I am adding additional outlets in my unfinished garage (only have one outlet now) and was planning on using MC cable for all my wiring, is this not a good idea? I did check with my local inspector and MC was what he recomended so I assume it will pass code.

Thanks again.