Suddenly no power to a series of wall outlets

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-06, 08:48 PM
Angry Suddenly no power to a series of wall outlets

I flipped the light on in the living room the other day to clean and then I flipped it back off...I came back to the living room to get something flipped the light back on then, out goes the light, along with the rest of the outlets in series, From one wall to the other. I need help with this one, I have already replaced the light switch and I checked the breaker outside and its fine, I flipped the breaker off then back on and still nothing... What else do I need to trouble shoot???

Basically my fish tank, TV, FAN and anything else thats plugged into the wall is not on... from one side of the wall to the other...

I know that those wires are running in series, now what may be the problem????

Last edited by FMC Electrical; 12-23-06 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-06, 08:56 PM
You have an open circuit. A wire has become disconnected. It could be at a receptacle or the light or a switch. It will be at the last working location on the circuit or the first non-working location. Those two locations may not be easy to determine, so you need to check every location on the circuit.

As you are checking move any back stabbed connections to the crew terminals. Remake all wire nut connections with new wire nuts.

It would help if you knew whether you were looking for an open hot or an open neutral. Go to the store a buy a plug in type tester. Try it on the receptacles. The results will tell you if it is an open neutral or an open hot.

Last edited by racraft; 12-21-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 08:35 PM
Unhappy In response to OPEN CIRCUIT FROM RACRAFT

I did as you said and bought a SPERRY instruments tester. I checked the outlets, all tested CORRECT... I also purchased a GREENLEE GT-11 Voltage Detector...SAME result, power in sockets power in the switches.... HOWEVER when I flip the switch still no light in ceiling fan, I plug in a lamp light in the outlets and nothing...what now???

Old 12-20-06, 09:29 PM
Plug in the tester and the lamp at the same time.
It sounds like you have a open neutral. That will often show as a hot ground reversed on one those three light testers.

Old 12-20-06, 09:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you plug anything in to clean? If yes start there.

Old 12-21-06, 08:39 AM
You might check the neutral in the service panel. Sometimes the neutrals will loosen over time and can cause an interruption in the circuit. It has happened to me twice.

Old 12-21-06, 11:45 PM
Angry Allcon

LADIES AND GENTS,

I have followed each and everyone of your instructions....guess what??, STILL nothing....

What is my last and final option guys....NEED HELP ASAP... CAN ANYONE TELL WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING............

Breakers are fine neutral is fine hot is fine ground is fine...WHAT NOW???

Thanks

FMC

Old 12-22-06, 06:50 AM
Start at the begining. Do you have a volt meter? Measure the voltage on the breaker to neutral and to ground. Then go to the first junction box on the circuit and do the same thing. If you get a reading to ground but not to neutral then you know the neutral is open. If you get no reading to ground or neutral then the hot is open.
Digital voltmeter will sometimes give a false reading. It would be best if you used a needle type meter or a soleniod tester.

Old 12-22-06, 11:11 AM
I would check the switch where the power comes in to see if there is power. If there is power I would not use the stab type connection often used on switches and outlets, I would wire to the side screws provided on the switch or outlet. This is assuming the light switch is the beginning device in the circuit. If the power comes into an outlet, then to the switch I would do the same there.

Old 12-23-06, 12:09 AM
In Response To Axis

AXIS, thus far your the only one that seems to know what kind of problem I'm having thanks for the advice...I do have a stab connection...so your recommendation would be to connect the wires to the screws.....ok I'll try it and get back to you on that one....Understand that this is a new switch I put in so I hope this does the job...

Thanks

Fidel

Old 12-23-06, 08:22 AM
Fidel,

Many of us (most of us) understand your problem. You have an open circuit. One of your connections somewhere is open (not connected). You just aren't following the advice given.

You need to remake the connections at each location and check for power. You aren't doing that. While your problem is sometimes time consuming to find, it is not difficult to diagnose and is easy to fix.

The advice to move all back stabbed connections to the screw terminals was provided to you more than three days ago.

Closed Thread