reverse the spin on fan

Old 12-20-06, 12:51 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reverse the spin on fan

I got a ceiling fan and had a question regarding it. Inorder to reverse the direction of the ceiling fan from spinning from clockwise to counterclockwise do they just reverse the direction of the flow of electricity. So in other words the white wire becomes the positive and the black wire becomes the neutral. If not then how is this done. Thanks

Old 12-20-06, 01:12 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
> reverse the direction of the flow of electricity. So in other words the white
> wire becomes the positive and the black wire becomes the neutral.

In AC power, there is no such thing as positive and negative. The direction of current flow reverses direction 60 times per second; hence, alternating current.

> If not then how is this done.

Depends on the type of motor. One way involves reversing the starting coil connections to the running coil, however you can't really know how (or if) a motor can be reversed without knowing what type of motor it is and how it's wound.

Old 12-20-06, 01:21 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Circuitry is provided to reverse the direction of rotation of electric motor to provide alternating direction of air movement by ceiling fans. In summer you want fan to push air down from above to create a chilling effect. In winter you want fan to pull air up & push warm air near ceiling down along walls. If set at slow speed, there is not wind chill effect.

Old 12-20-06, 01:39 PM
W
Thanks for the replies. I said neutral. I see what you mean though.

Wall switches can be installed to reverse the direction of the fan. What is in a simple wall switch that can reverse its direction. What change in circuitry is done. Thanks

Old 12-20-06, 01:40 PM
In a three phase motor you can reverse the direction by changing any two of the three phases.
for a single phase ceiling fan you just click the button oppisite from what it is now while the fan is not spinning
An attempt at humor

Old 12-20-06, 01:56 PM
In my experiences, most ceiling fans have a switch located on the fan itself to control spin (updraft and downdraft)

Old 12-20-06, 04:17 PM
W
I was wondering if I could get an explanation of how this worked.

Old 12-20-06, 04:27 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you flip the switch on the fan, it reverses the direction of rotation of electric motor.

Old 12-20-06, 04:53 PM
J
Received 441 Votes on 367 Posts
Inside the fan motor there is a capacitor and many windings. Depending on which winding the capacitor is connected across determines which direction the motor turns. The size of the capacitor determines the speed of the motor.
The capacitor is usually a dual value. Value 1 is slow. Value two is med. Value two and three is high.
In order for the switch on the wall to change the direction of the fan you need bring more then just on off wires to the switch.

some of these links might be useful

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000031.html

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000064.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: