ceiling fan box

Old 12-20-06, 06:17 PM
ceiling fan box

When installing a ceiling fan would any metal ceiling fan box work or are they rated for weight carrying. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-06, 06:29 PM
You answered your own question. The key is to get a box rated for a ceiling fan.

Old 12-20-06, 06:47 PM
Thank you. I picked up one at the local hardware store and it didn't have a rating on it. I suppose I should return it and look around for one that actually has a rating on it. Unless you can make something out of these numbers 54171N-25 that are on the box. Thanks

Old 12-21-06, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The fan rated box will have screws extending down from the base through the normal attachment holes so you will attach the fan plate with nuts. The small tabs that you normally screw the fixtures to aren't sufficient enough to hold a fan's weight, therefore the "through" bolting from the base. There are several different brands and types, but they will all say "fan rated" on the box. Now, just because the box says fan rated, the manner in which you attach it to the ceiling is just as important, so be sure to attach it firmly with the enclosed screws which have larger heads.

Old 12-21-06, 11:39 AM
Maybe what i could do is where I screw the screws through the tab I can just place a nice size nut on the other end of the tab. And then for the box just make sure there is enough screws in it.

I am asking this question because there is currently a box in the ceiling where a fan was install that only had tabs on it. I suppose it wasn't a heavy fan then. Well, I was just going to reuse this one. I need two fans in the ceiling so I will be installing another box (that is what the first question came from) Thanks

Old 12-21-06, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't in good conscience give you the advice to use anything other than a fan rated box. Placing the nuts on the opposite side of the tab still makes use of the weaker tab for support, and not the entire box frame. Hope you understand why.

Old 12-21-06, 08:25 PM
They make fan rated boxes in a number of configurations, several of them for upgrading existing boxes and adding boxes.

Having arrived at a customers house where a DIY fan job was installed in a non rated box and finding the fan, box, bracket, and a bit of drywall in a pile on the floor, I'd suggest you make sure all the boxes are fan rated and correctly installed.