Aluminum wire

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-20-06, 07:41 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 118
Aluminum wire

Folks:
I have purchased a house that has aluminum wire. I'm having a electrical contractor change the service and install a square d 200 amp panel. I would like to make the change over at the outlets and fixture myself. I'm not going to use the purple nut system. What are the other ways I can do this without using a contractor. I have installed outlet and fixtures from scratch before.
I would appreciate any and all advise. Ron
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-20-06, 07:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 2,041
Why are you changing outlets? Are you removing all the aluminum wire? If not, you need to find out from you local electrical inspector what they require. At a minimum you need devices rated COALR. You may be required to pigtail the connectors, and those pigtails may require a crimp connection with approved tools and parts.
 
  #3  
Old 12-20-06, 08:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
As 594 Posted.. Why?

For clean esthetics? Some precautions must be adheard to.It's not "C-4",But There are certain considerations and costs involved.
However, once you mess with it, it is very important that it's done right.

All devices and termination equipment must be rated for the use,or down the road you have trouble.
 
  #4  
Old 12-20-06, 08:25 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Wink

Will code there let you keep the aluminum wire in the home?? Here its a no no. You have to run all new copper wire.
 
  #5  
Old 12-20-06, 08:49 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NA
Posts: 1,065
Be sure you dont have any 14 awg al cable. If you do this is no longer allowed to exist in a home. I am assuming your home inspector looked over or suggested bringing in someone who was qualified to inspect the al wiring. If any 14 awg al you must replace it with modern copper NM-B cable.

Aluminum is generally not required to be taken out of service but it dioes require a watchful eye. Remember aluminum wire is commonly used in larger guages without any problems. It's the residential "romex" that is the problem in most cases. Generally people connect to co/al devices. You cannot use copper only devices unless you pigtail copper to the al and connect the copper to the receptacle or switch. The purple twister is not considered a very reliable fault free connection as you have already discovered from the sound of things. The best method is pigtailing copper to the al wire using a technique called the CopAlum crimp. This is required in Canada but not the USA. However this requires special tools and licensed electricians trained in its application.
There is a new connector out that utilizes set srews to which you connect the al and then an copper pigtail that would go to the receptacle or whatever. Unfortunately I cant remember who is producing it. I was looking at the thing at the supply house the other day and it looked like it would be much better than the purple twister wirenut. I'm thinking it was gradner-bender but I just cant recall. Might check at lowes or HD.


Roger
 
  #6  
Old 12-22-06, 07:07 PM
Gen
Gen is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: US
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There is a new connector out that utilizes set srews to which you connect the al and then an copper pigtail that would go to the receptacle or whatever. Unfortunately I cant remember who is producing it. I was looking at the thing at the supply house the other day and it looked like it would be much better than the purple twister wirenut. I'm thinking it was gradner-bender but I just cant recall. Might check at lowes or HD.
Roger
These new connectors are at Lowes at $6 each. I'm curious what others think of using these. See http://www.alumiconn.com/details.html
 
  #7  
Old 12-22-06, 07:55 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Rewiring of home will require Permit & Inspection. Contact your local building inspector. If you DIY, you will still need the permit and inspection. Your local codes may not allow the purple nuts, as failures have been reported with these. Your local code will dictate what you do. Make sure electrician is licensed and insured (liability & workers comp).
 
  #8  
Old 12-23-06, 01:58 PM
Gen
Gen is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: US
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Your local codes may not allow the purple nuts, as failures have been reported with these.
This new item is not the same as the purple nuts.

http://www.alumiconn.com/details.html
 
  #9  
Old 12-24-06, 06:50 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
which one is better

Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Rewiring of home will require Permit & Inspection. Contact your local building inspector. If you DIY, you will still need the permit and inspection. Your local codes may not allow the purple nuts, as failures have been reported with these. Your local code will dictate what you do. Make sure electrician is licensed and insured (liability & workers comp).
with the al wire, if they dont permit the use of the purple wire nut, then how should we connnect the al wire to copper wire(fixtures).. what about the old wire nut( original, come with the home), should we replace them with the purple one, the old one dont have any kind of rating
 
  #10  
Old 12-24-06, 06:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 433
Your very very lost my friend, call an electrician . NEVER reuse wire nuts , especially ones that aren't rated ...
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'