Installing new wall sconces

Old 12-22-06, 12:16 PM
Cool Installing new wall sconces

I plan to install 2 wall sconce lights on a wall with an outlet that I can use to feed the electricity from. The circuit that I would be using is a 20 amp that feed 4 outlets only in the diningroom. Will there be any problem hooking up the lights, I assume thay are made for 15 amp , to this circuit?

Wiring will be 12/2 - from outlet to 15 amp single pole switch, switch to light1 and from light1 junction box extend wire over to light2.

Thanks in advance fro the advise.

Last edited by Cruttshome; 12-22-06 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-06, 02:17 PM
In the US this violates code. You cannot tap this circuit.

Old 12-22-06, 08:05 PM
So that's why they leave the wires dangling on the walls on HGTV? So, if one wants wall scones, do they have to be wired in at the time of new construction?

Old 12-22-06, 09:43 PM
You can add lights whenever you want. But you cannot add them to one of the kitchen small appliance circuits, which is what serves the dining room receptacles.

Old 12-22-06, 09:46 PM
Does that mean livingroom and hall are on different circuits and a person could fish wires from an outlet to sconces?

Old 12-22-06, 09:50 PM
I have no idea how your house is wired or how Cruttshome's house is wired.

Old 12-23-06, 07:22 AM
Racraft:
Poster wrote: "The circuit that I would be using is a 20 amp that feed 4 outlets only in the diningroom. " Dining room and not kitchen. It would be a bit weird to have a dining room circuit at 20 amps but who's to say it isn't that way and this is separate from kitchen. Poster: Is this in kitchen or not?

Old 12-23-06, 07:38 AM
Bob, Racraft is correct in saying that you can't tap off the dining room receptacle circuit. It is a code violation.

Old 12-23-06, 10:36 AM
The dining room receptacles are required to be on a small appliance circuit. That means the circuit must be 20 amps and can only serve the kitchen counter top, the dining room, a breakfast nook and/or a pantry. There are a couple of miscellaneous exceptions, but lighting on the wall is NOT one of them.

Whether they are wired in the same small appliance circuit that actually serves the kitchen counter top or not is a matter of how the house was wired.

Old 12-24-06, 06:54 AM
During recent new renovations I did lots of new wiring, in old house things were sort of all over the place. The dining room is seperate from the kitchen but open area - I created a seperate circuit with 1 outlet attached to kitchen island that seperates the dining area and kitchen. I did read code and consider this a small appliance circuit, 20 amp, because that's basically what the outlet on island is for - the other 3 outlets are in the walls around dining area for lamps, etc.

Makes sense to me why not to tap into this for the wall sconces. I have a seperate circuit , 15 amp, that I used for most of the lighting througout the space - will be more difficult to fish but definately do-able.

Thanks for the advice - that's why I like to check in with you guys before I start the project.