Cutting live black wire

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-06, 04:45 PM
Cutting live black wire

For a complicated reason doing an renovation, I need to cut through a live 14/2 wire. Can't turn off power and don't want to get sidetracked as to why.

These are the two black wires connecting to a light switch. Can I wrap the handles of my plastic (maybe its rubber) coated wire cutters in electrical tape and give them a snip? Will this give them enough insulation to avoid a shock? Then I want to secure the cut ends of the wire with electrical tape.

What tool is recommended for cutting through a live wire?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-06, 04:53 PM
Who are you trying to fool? There is never a reason in a residential setting to cut a live wire or to work on a circuit live. Any method of working with or altering a live circuit is dangerous.

Electricity kills people every year. Do the right thing and turn the power off.

Old 12-23-06, 05:08 PM
Even if you were stealing electricity by illegaly tapping the lugs before the meter ?

Just a guess...

Well I don't condone this activity and i am sure no one does but Poco line men do it all the time for your live service change over . As long as there is no path for current flow , your ok. So by a brand new fiberglass ladder and make sure you aint touching anything but the wire and cut it. hypothetically.

Old 12-23-06, 06:01 PM
what trained pros with lots of saftey equipment do isn't suitable for the DIY

cut the power or don't cut the wire

Old 12-23-06, 08:17 PM
Gen
I accidentally cut a live line cord once on the job. The boss saw it and much to my surprise --laughed his butt off. I don't recommend this activity though.

Why don't you explain your situation, since no one is going to inform you on this one?

Old 12-23-06, 08:31 PM
nap
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
Even if you were stealing electricity by illegaly tapping the lugs before the meter ?

Just a guess...

Well I don't condone this activity and i am sure no one does but Poco line men do it all the time for your live service change over . As long as there is no path for current flow , your ok. So by a brand new fiberglass ladder and make sure you aint touching anything but the wire and cut it. hypothetically.
One thing you failed to notice: the OP wants to cut a 14/2 romex. it has a hot, a neutral, and a ground wire in it. Snipping that baby is going to turn a set of linesman pliers into an expensive set of wire strippers. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

If the circuit cannot be turned off, there is definately something wrong happening. In a resi situation, I can;t think of any reason an inexperienced person would ever be dealing with something that could not be turned off.

Old 12-23-06, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
While it might be interesting to hear an attempt at justification for this, I cannot allow something so stupid and so dangerous to continue. The answer has been clearly given, I'm going to close this post.

Closed Thread