Looking for remodel recessed cans - CF or not?

Old 12-25-06, 09:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for remodel recessed cans - CF or not?

I'm looking to put some cans in an extremely dark living room. I imagine I will be putting in between 6 and 8 remodel cans. I was thinking of saving the earth and using fluorescent ready light fixtures. Or are regular cans with CF just as good?

Any links would be good.

Oh, this would be a non-ic situation.

Thanks!
-Rob

Old 12-25-06, 09:45 AM
Y
Just Google "fluorescent recessed light" and I'll bet you'll find plenty. The big box stores should have them. Any electrical supply house that sells fixtures will also have them. Should be easy if you look.

Old 12-25-06, 12:07 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here is a GE link with FAQs re: CFLs (canned flurorescent lights). http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/cfl.htm#4

You can get Air Tight and IC or non-IC rated fixtures. A visit to a local lighting gallery or supply store should provide you with your options. Air Tight would keep heat from escaping. IC allows fixture to touch insulation.

Last edited by twelvepole; 12-25-06 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 09:04 PM
P
If the cans are painted white on the outside, you must be sure no attic insulation touches them (not sure on the clearance distance though).

If the cans are NOT painted, the insulation can touch them. (I would still clear away the insulation anyway.)

Old 12-26-06, 01:32 AM
F
I am still looking for a bit more insight into what people have actually used and brands. I am aware that I can just buy whatever the box store has, but I'm looking for CF in a standard can vs. cans specifically designed for flurorescent bulbs.

The IC vs non-IC is a non issue since this is for a living room on the first floor of a two story house. But I will be using remodel cans.

Thanks.
-Rob

Old 12-27-06, 10:22 AM
P
I used 6-inch cans in my hallway to eliminate the old hanging-globe fixtures. Originally I stuck bulbs in them and bought the low-cost trims, but the bulbs are too bright. I then tried a 13-watt tube and adjusted the socket to rais the tube as high as possible inside the can, but it looked like crap because of the cheap trims.

When I get back to Lowes I'll check out the other trims. I'd like to find one with a diffuser lens so the tube cannot be seen.

In most businesses that have recessed lighting, the trim is metal and hides everything up to the socket, and the tube just "hangs in there" so I suppose that is the way to go.

Funny how the cans and bulbs are so cheap but decent trims are so expensive...

I'd like to install cans elsewhere in the main floor's ceilings but I have no idea how much clearance exists between the two floors - does one need "low profile" cans? If so, I'm SOL because I haven't seen any around.

Old 12-27-06, 12:18 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
> regular cans with CF just as good?

I would recommend regular cans with CF bulbs. This gives you the flexibility of replacing the CF with standard bulbs if (when) the wife complains about the "funny" colored light. I've tried to sneak CF bulbs in all over the house, but it never lasts.

> I'd like to install cans elsewhere in the main floor's ceilings but I have
> no idea how much clearance exists between the two floors

Most 6" cans will fit between 2x8 joists, which should be the smallest you'll find in any reasonably modern home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: