Outdoor in-use box mounting

Old 12-25-06, 07:49 PM
Question Outdoor in-use box mounting

I picked up some in-use receptacle box+cover kits for outside the house the other day. As I started to plan where I'd put em, replacing some old outlets, adding some new, I realized that the old outlets had the whole size of the box cut out of the house joist. So, essentially, the only part of the outlet that was outside was the cover itself (with a waterproofing gasket). However, these boxes appear to have a different style gasket. I'm curious - is it acceptable to mount the entire box outside, and just silicone behind it while installing, and run wire into the back? Seems like the box and in-use cover would be huge this way.

The box doesn't seem to have a real clean way to mount it either way. Some goofy looking little tin "lug" that I think they expect to hold the box in place, with screws that don't seem to fit anywhere. Of course the instructions it ships with are pretty vague. That is, even after I found the English version of them ..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-06, 06:28 AM
if you bought one of the clear in use covers (bubble cover)
these are made to be used either with the surface mount box, or flush mounted , as in your situation. in your case only use the clear cover.
simply remove your exsisting cover and replace it with the bubble cover.

Old 12-26-06, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All "in-use" covers are styled the same. All can be used on flush or surface boxes.
As long as the edge of a flush mounted box is flush with the finish you are fine. If the box is set back then find a way to bring it out flush.

Old 12-26-06, 09:03 AM
Actually, I guess I wasn't clear. I bought an in-use kit, that came with the box. I'm adding new ones, so I wouldn't just be replacing the covers.

I suppose what I'm really asking, is if it's more common to flush-mount the box, or to suface mount it. It's really hard to tell what they intended with this box.

Old 12-26-06, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is a standard weatherproof box it should be surface mounted. Yes, it will look huge.

If you want a cleaner look then you can install an old work cut-in box and then install the cover flush.

Or, you can get a new Arlington "In-Box" which is a flush box AND in-use cover all in one.

Old 12-26-06, 10:19 AM
I can atest to the 'it will look huge' statement. I recently re-wired my garage and added a circuit for some external boxes. The surface was stucco and I didn't feel like chipping away at it, so I surface mounted the boxes...

Oh boy do they stick out.