bathroom fan

Old 12-26-06, 06:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom fan

I just installed a new bathroom fan in my bathroom. I had a GFI plug by my sink. I pulled out the old junction box and installed a two gang junction box. When I wired my switch to the fan, I ran a hot off the load on the GFI to the switch and took the wire coming from the fan and hooked the neutral directy to the the load on the GFI and the hot to the switch. My question to the professionals is, was this the correct way to do this? I just figured that by doing that now I am protecting the switch as well.

Old 12-27-06, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
The 20 amp gfci circuit to the bathroom must be dedicated to the receptacles only. No lights, etc can be attached to that circuit.

Old 12-27-06, 05:34 AM
J
Brian, It looks like you wired this correctly.

The code regarding bath GFI outlets is that you can do one of two things.

You can have one circuit that serves the lights and receptacles in one bathroom, and serves no other outlets in the house. (the code calls lights, receptacles, and anything else that uses electricity an outlet)

Or, you can have one GFI receptacle circuit that feeds several receptacles even in different bathrooms, but then it cannot serve any other outlets, even the lights in the bathrooms.

The issue is that, If your existing GFI receptacle is already connected to the same circuit as other bath recs or other recs in the house then your installation, while probably very safe, is not code compliant.

Old 12-27-06, 06:15 AM
B
Thanks guys for the response. Yeah the line continues on throughout the house. Although obvioulsy not to the load of the GFI. The house is from 1952 so I am not so much worried about code since probably 75 percent of the house is not up to todays code. As long as what I have is safe is all that matter to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: