What gauge wire to detached garage?

Old 12-26-06, 08:10 PM
Question What gauge wire to detached garage?

I had an electrician wire a 100amp sub-panel to my detached garage when he quit working because it was "too cold" (I live in Illinois). I have since ran the electrical conduit underground myself (he said 2ft was code) and I, with some help from friends, would like to finish the job myself. My question is this: What gauge or kind of wire from my house to the garage? Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first thing is to determine the load that you will have in the garage. The circuit size may be limited by the size and type of the conduit.

Are there any phone or water lines run to the shed?

Old 12-27-06, 07:53 AM
I have 10 circuits in the box (8 for lights, outlets, etc. and 2 for a 240v water heater. I ran 1 1/2in. pvc conduit and 3/4in. conduit for phone and cable.

Old 12-27-06, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the wattage and number of lights? What is going to be used in the receptacles? What is the waatage of the water heater?

Have you done a load calculation to see if the existing service to your house can support this subpanel?

Old 12-27-06, 08:13 AM
It sounds like this project is past the load calc phase, as the OP said that he is going with a 100 amp panel. Hopefully the electrician did that part.

As for the rest, this is a common topic today. Please see my responses in these other threads.

http://forum.doityourself.com//showthread.php?t=288559
http://forum.doityourself.com//showthread.php?t=288536