50 amp gfi for hot tub

Old 12-26-06, 09:39 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 50 amp gfi for hot tub

i need to know how to wire panel board to gfi and gfi to hot tub i am using 63wg pulling wire threw wall under deck in conduit to gfi from gfi to hot tub with flex red & black i know not certain about the white wires

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-27-06 at 12:27 PM. Reason: see note in post
Old 12-27-06, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You are into a situation that exceeds diy protocol unless you have good knowledge of electrical circuits. At this point, I would call in an electrician to complete the hookup.

Old 12-27-06, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 113 Votes on 98 Posts
Since the outdoor portion of the circuit requires an insulated ground it sounds like you will need to rethink your plan.

Are you aware of the other Code requirements for a disconnect within sight of the tub or the need for a GFI protected receptacle?

Sounds like you may be over your head.

Last edited by pcboss; 12-27-06 at 12:07 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 12-27-06, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You guys understood that post???
Without a lick of punctuation, capitalization or grammar I choose to not even try to figure it out.

Pcboss, I think you meant to say insulated GROUND.

Old 12-27-06, 01:35 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
> using 63wg

Type NM-B 6/3g cable (Romex) is not allowed outdoors, even in conduit.

> from gfi to hot tub with flex

Also not allowed. The disconnect must be at least 5' from the rim of the tub, and you are allowed only 6' of flex for a spa installation which makes it impossible to run flex from the disconnect to the spa.

> red & black i know not certain about the white wires

White is almost certainly required, as is green.

I must echo the other posts in strongly recommending that you seek a professional electrician to install this spa. Such projects are only appropriate for advanced electrical do-it-yourselfers, and your post suggests that you are not in that group. I do not intend my statement to be insulting, because there are numerous safety issues associated with a spa; and it is essential that the installation be done correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: