garage 100amp subpanel

Old 12-27-06, 07:39 AM
garage 100amp subpanel

I have run a 100amp subpanel to my detached garage. I have already buried 1 1/2 in. and 3/4 in. pvc conduit 2 ft. into the ground and now i am ready to run the lines. What gauge wire do I use and how many wires(3 or 4)? How do I know if I need a grounding rod?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 08:07 AM
I am going to assume from the fact that you ran a 3/4 pvc that you intend to run phone or some other wire to the garage. This is a second metalic path and you need to run 4 wires to the new panel. Two hot, one neutral and one ground.

You need a ground rod at a detached building no matter what else. A number 6 wire is what you need from the rod to the panel ground buss.

How far is the detached structure from the main building as the wire flies?

If less than 125 feet the code minimum wire size is large enough.

For a 100 amp sub panel you need either #4 copper or #2 aluminum. That is for the two hots and the neutral. for the ground you need a #6 copper.

Old 12-27-06, 11:29 AM
My garage is only about 10ft. away from the back of my house. The 3/4in. conduit is for both phone and cable. What kind of rod do i need? Where do i get that? How far down into the ground does it have to be?

Old 12-27-06, 01:03 PM
You will need an 8 foot long, 5/8 inch diameter ground rod. The big box stores carry them. Probably obvious, but to answer your last question...8 feet! I don't believe there is a depth requirement for the top, mine is about 6". You will also need a clamp rated for direct burial, also available at the same store.

Old 12-27-06, 02:23 PM
The top of the rod is supposed to be flush with, or just below grade.

As for the depth of the bottom.... do the math..