Electrical Switch in 3 Season Room

Old 12-27-06, 09:53 AM
Electrical Switch in 3 Season Room

I recently enclosed the area under my family room and made a 3 season room out of it. There is insulation between the studs and it is covered with vinyl panels. I had electricity put in, with high hats on the inside and a light outside the storm door of the room as well. I have 2 switches inside my basement, just to the left of the sliding glass door which opens into the 3 season room, to turn on the lights. However, when the electrical inpsector came, he said I need a switch inside the room as soon as you enter the room from the backyard. Now, inside the storm door, making up the frame of the door is studs. How can I run the wiring so I can install a switch just inside the storm door so that I can turn it on as soon as I enter the room from the backyard? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need to run either 12/3 or 14/3 cable from the existing switch box to the new switch box location. Match the gauge of the new cable with the gauge of the existing circuit. This will allow you to install 3-way switches in each location to control the room lights. Are you additionally asking how to physically mount a switch box in the available space?

Did the inspector cite a code article when he flagged your violation? The only requirements that I am aware of are that you must have exterior lighting at the outside door [210.70(A)(2)(b)], which you already have; and, you must have at least one switch controlled room light [210.70(A)(1)], which you already have. I agree with him that it is a good idea that you install a switch there, but I do not believe it is mandatory unless you have a local code or amendment to the NEC which requires it.

Old 12-27-06, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't find it either.Not even in MA. But I only have this years rev. on hand. If the switch is in the 3 season area, you could install an occupancy sensor.

Where are you located? that may help.

It may be building code, but that comes after elec insp.