Car-Blanket/heated able to use inside the house?

Old 12-27-06, 12:44 PM
Car-Blanket/heated able to use inside the house?

Hi:
First off, I can not find proper place to ask this question, below, but gives it a try.

I got a protable Car blanket which is used inside the car by inserrting it into a cigarette lighter/12 V, as one of X-mas presents.

However, I rarely use this, a Heated Car Blanket inside the car, because I never travel to colder areas than the place where I live. Also, I hate it use inside the car, unless I would get stranded in the blizzard.

Then, I want to use this, Car-Blanket inside the house, ideally as a heated lap-blanket, ... under the table where the computers and printers sitting.

My question is;
Is there a way to convert this, 'a car-blanket' by using some electrical device? If does, what form of device I need to purcahse in order to able to use Car Blanket safely by hooking-up with wall-outlet?

Thanks for reading this and help, if there is, ...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Is there a way to convert this, 'a car-blanket' by using some electrical
> device?

No, the blanket can only be used with 12V DC power inside the car. You'd have to buy a heated blanket designed for use with 120V AC power for the house.

Old 12-27-06, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ben, couldn't he use a converter for this application? My wife has a portable refrigerator/heater for her food when she travels out of town to hospitals at a distance, and when she reaches her destination, she can remove it from the car and use one of the converters I bought at Radio Shack and plug it in the receptacle in her room. Just a thought.

Old 12-27-06, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes he probably could, but my line of thinking is that a transformer of sufficient size is probably at least as expensive as an indoor blanket; and I suspect that the automotive blanket is intended for emergency/occasional use only, not for daily use. It may not carry the UL listing that indoor electric blankets must have.

If it was for occasional use, like your wife's example, I may suggest looking into a converter. However for regular use, I believe in getting the proper device, especially when it comes to heaters.

Old 12-27-06, 04:51 PM
12 VDC power supply

Radio Shack and many other stores sell 12V power supplies specifically for the purpose of powering 12V car accessories. Usually these have 12V cigarette lighter type sockets built in for convenience. It might cost more than another 120VAC blanket, but it would also power any other 12V devices.

If the blanket plugs into the cigarette lighter, it can't draw more than ~15A. I'd look for a 15-20A 12V supply at Radio Shack.

EDIT: I just noticed Chandler said basically the same thing. I kept the message here b/c of the added amperage information