between 2 wiring switch to 3 wiring switch

Old 12-27-06, 04:41 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
between 2 wiring switch to 3 wiring switch

hi! i'm tryin to install new light switch...the problem is that i got probably 1940-60's light switch with two wiring white and black...but i cldnt find a new one that can accept 2 wiring...thus the new one has three screws...but i dont see a third wire for ground wiring...what should i do??

Many thanks!
Daniel

Old 12-27-06, 04:51 PM
W
Originally Posted by fordt-bird View Post
hi! i'm tryin to install new light switch...the problem is that i got probably 1940-60's light switch with two wiring white and black...but i cldnt find a new one that can accept 2 wiring...thus the new one has three screws...but i dont see a third wire for ground wiring...what should i do??

Many thanks!
Daniel
You may have picked up a switch used for 2 way lighting, that is the ability to turn on a light from two different locations. That type of switch has 3 screws. The standard switch has 2 screws, one silver and one bronze and maybe a green for ground. You probably do not have a grounding conductor if your wiring is that old.

Old 12-28-06, 12:42 PM
R
All new switches have a ground terminal. If you have no ground wire in the box then connect nothing to the ground terminal. However, if the box is properly grounded then you need to pigtail from the box to the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: