Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How can I repair or replace the clip holding a electric meter?

Old 12-27-06, 07:19 PM

I am new at this, so I apologize if my explanation is not clear. I have an electric meter outside my home. When it is removed, the panel has 4 clips that would normally connect to the 4 prongs on the electric meter. One of the clips is loose and not making a great connection. As a result, if the connection is not good on that one contact, the light and power in my house is intermittent. However, I can wiggle the meter and if I get it just right, the power will stay on fine. Of course, this usually stays good for about a couple of weeks till it works itself loose again, then I have to wiggle the meter again. Not a permanent solution. The electric company came out to check and recommended that the clip be fixed or replaced? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? It does not appear extremely difficult, but it is electricity and potentially dangerous. I could get a contractor to do it, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg and it doesn't appear like a big job. Thanks in advance for all your recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-06, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation

DON'T TOUCH IT!!!. Call The power co. in the AM. and they will take care of it.
They own this meter not you. This could BLOW up in your face, LITERALY!

Now with that said, I'll read the rest of your post.

I'm back. This is a Power co. issue. Let them deal with it. Many of their own have been seriously injured this way (and their trained).
You may have to supply a new meter can and have that installed, Fast job for a pro. Have one do it.

So why have you let this go so long? For this reason alone, I don't think any of us would feel comfortable pointing you in a repair direction.

No disrespect is intended. Many people don't realize the hazard that little glass globe can reak.

So call and good luck.

Old 12-27-06, 07:58 PM
Count yourself lucky that it hasn't blown up in your face with all the "wiggling" you have been doing. The Power Co. should have replaced the meter on the first call - why they didn't is beyond me. Call them and restate what is going on and have them replace it. If the Meter Box is damage at the "Clip" inserts where the meter plugs into - then have a qualified and licensed electrician change out the meter box.

A few hundred dollars spent now - will save a few thousand dollars incurred from a hospital stay.

Do not attempt to repair this yourself. This is not a DIY project or repair item.

Old 12-27-06, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, I read right over the first phone call.

Call an electrician in the AM. It's not that much money, and most likely could be fixed before the weekend.