running wires

Old 12-28-06, 11:28 AM
running wires

I was looking at my basement where all the wires are run and have a question. I noticed that some wires are run along the two by six and are stapled together. The most I saw together were two romex wires, one on top of the other. The two wires though are on two different circuits. They also run through the same holes between the beams and eventually branch off to there percpective circuits. My question is, are you allowed to run them on top of each other like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, your wiring is just fine.

Old 12-29-06, 11:28 AM
cabling/derated

I am not familiar with cabling or derated or what it means. I am worried cause I thought I read that if they are put together for more thatn 24 then you will have some cabling or something to that effect. Isn't that what I am gonna have with two wires stapled tightly together along the stud?

Old 12-29-06, 11:36 AM
Wires that are run together do need to have their current de-rated. This means that instead of 15 amps, the maximum allowed would be less. The actual amount of the de-rating depends on several factors.

However, no de-rating is necessary for two cables run together in the fashion you are describing.

Old 12-29-06, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the response. Quick question so I understand. What exactly is cabling/derated and when do I have to worry about it. You state I dont in this situation but when would this situation warrant it?

Old 12-29-06, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally, derating applies when you have more than (3) current carrying conductors running together in the same raceway for more than 24". The purpose of derating is to control the amount of heat produced by the wire bundle by reducing the amount of current allowed on the conductors. Derating should also be considered for areas with high ambient temperature, like an attic in Phoenix.

In a residential setting, derating has no effect on #12 and #14 cables until you have at least (9) current-carrying conductors which equates to (5) NM-B (Romex) cables . Jamming 5 cables through one set of holes in the joists would be impractical and foolish anyway, so derating is not really relevant.