Another lights dimming question

Old 12-28-06, 12:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another lights dimming question

I have asked this question before and had some great help, but something else has come up that I wanted to ask. Just a little background. My wife and I moved into a new home 3 years ago and since we have been here we have noticed lights dimming when large appliances come on. Mainly just the a/c and vacum cleaner. Last night I happened to notice that when I turned on the tv the overhead lights actually dimmed just slightly and it lasted less than a second. This may have been occuring all along and I never noticed since we usually cut the lights out when we watch tv. I have been told that since this house was built just to code and that 14g wire was used on the 15amp circuit for lights and outlets that this is why I see the lights dim. Would it be out of the ordinary for the lights to also dim just slight when the tv is first turned on? The TV seems to only cause this when its been off for a while. The lights never get bright and I have had the electrican and power company check the service and neither have found problems. Someone else has mentioned that it might be due to back stabbed connections at the outlets. Could this also be the cause?

Old 12-28-06, 12:35 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
> Would it be out of the ordinary for the lights to also dim just slight when
> the tv is first turned on? The TV seems to only cause this when its been
> off for a while.

Not surprising; CRT televisions have a large inrush of current when they first start similar to an electric motor.

> back stabbed connections at the outlets. Could this also be the cause?

Very unlikely. Probably #14 wire with lights and receptacles mixed on the same circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: