Kitchen Light power problem

Old 12-28-06, 12:32 PM
Kitchen Light power problem

I have 2 wires in at the light switch - white and black (plus the ground).

However I cannot get the light to work. I started at the light switch to figure out the problem.

Both wires show as live when I use the wire tester - ( tester beeps continuously for each wire.

THe box is properly grounded.

I removed the switch and placed one of those temp light fixtures ( light buld with balck and white wire ) on each wire in the switch box. The white touching the white and the black touching the black. THe temp light fixture would NOT go on. I made sure the temp light fixture was working properly and retried - samething, wouldnt work when I connect the black to black and white to white.

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 12:55 PM
Two wires at a light switch (and no more) means a switch loop. Do you mean you have two cables, each with two wires, or do you really only have two wires?

If you only have two wires at the light switch, then you do not have a neutral, and no light connected will work.

Start again, and tell us everything at the light switch and at the light. Be as specific as possible.

Old 12-28-06, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Two wires at a light switch (and no more) means a switch loop. Do you mean you have two cables, each with two wires, or do you really only have two wires?

If you only have two wires at the light switch, then you do not have a neutral, and no light connected will work.

Start again, and tell us everything at the light switch and at the light. Be as specific as possible.
I only have the 2 wires plus ground at the light switch box. One white, one black plus ground.

The light worked prior using the switch.

Old 12-28-06, 01:05 PM
Fine you have a switch loop to/at the switch.

Connect the wires together with a wire nut. If the light works, replace the switch. If the light doesn't work then look at the light wiring for your problem.

Old 12-28-06, 03:13 PM
I connected the 2 wires in the switch box and nothing. The wire tester has a continuous beep when touching the wires.

I thought I would double check the fuse and it was burnt out. Sorry and I appreciate your assistance once again.

I always thought that there would be power if the tester has a contiuous beep. Thank you for all your help! Happy 2007!

Old 12-28-06, 04:38 PM
You problem is at the fixture. It is either a burnt bulb, defective fixture or wiring problem at the fixture. Possibly a loose or disconnected wire.