Question on changing light fixtures

Old 12-28-06, 01:04 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on changing light fixtures

I currently have two wall mounted light fixtures in my bathroom that are of the old type that have an electrcal receptical as part of the fixture. I am wanting to replace these light fixtures with new ones and drop down from the fixtures and install GFI recepticals below them. I want the recepticals to be always hot. The light fixtures are controlled by a single switch on the wall. I have done this before about 15 years ago at another house, but for the life of myself I cannot remember how to do it now. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-28-06, 01:37 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Please tell us what wires are in the electrical box at the light; we need to know the colors and what cables they come from. There's about a 50/50 chance that you can do this.

Old 12-28-06, 02:03 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
While this may be possible electrically, it is most likely not going to be up to code.

Code requires that this circuit be a properly grounded 20 amp circuit, and that it serve nothing else except this bathroom. I doubt this is the case.

Ben states a 50/50 chance, and what he means is that there is 50/50 chance that power goes to one light first. I think the chance is less than 50/50, but who knows. However, I believe that there is less than a one percent chance that you have constant power available at BOTH lights to put in two receptacles that are always hot.

Your best solution, and probably your only solution to remain code legal, and perhaps your only solution to get what you want, would be to install a new 20 amp circuit from your panel to the bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: