Opinions on Pop-up fuses

Old 12-28-06, 03:32 PM
Opinions on Pop-up fuses

I have a rental house with a fuse panal. I am finding that the tenants replace burnt 15 amp fuses with 20 or 25 amp fuses.

THe pop up fuses have a little button on top of the fuse. The pacakge says " never need to replace a fuse again". They did not have any 15 amp's available so I am guessing they must work fine?

Curious what your experiences are with the pop up fuses. Is it easy to spot that fuse needs resetting.

Last edited by chris2000cms; 12-28-06 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fixed a sentence
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 04:06 PM
If they keep popping, the tennants will likely keep swapping the fuses. I would upgrade the panel to breakers, and maybe add a few circuits so overlaods are not such a problem.

Old 12-28-06, 04:34 PM
Put the plastic slugs in the fuse holder so that only the proper fuse can be used.

Here is one type

http://homerepair.about.com/od/electricalrepair/ss/fuse_types_2.htm

Old 12-28-06, 05:07 PM
joed's idea is the best TEMPORARY solution.

As for your tenants, here is another TEMPORARY solution: You need to send them a letter from your lawyer telling them that they are in violation of the lease, and that what they are doing might burn the apartment down, and that if it does you will sue them for causing it. They need to understand how stupid their actions are, and that you will not tolerate it.

Understand that ultimately (as a permanent solution) you need to address the problem. You need to provide more circuits and you need to replace the fuses with circuit breakers.

Old 12-28-06, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Chris,

There is no excuse for over sizing a fuse.
It is a fire waiting to happen.

I have seen these breakers that replace fuses and the ones I saw were not approved.
In order for any electrical device to be approved for use in Canada it must have a recognized approval for Canada.
Electrical products must have CSA or ULC or one of a couple of other ones.
An approval without the C designation for Canada is not valid here.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/guidelines/liveperformance/gl_live_apx_a.html