Breaker interlock for Generator

Old 12-30-06, 11:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Breaker interlock for Generator

The house was built in 2005.
I have a 200 Amp Siemens panel in the garage.
I bought this ECSBPK03 interlock. I have a 30amp gen. so I added a 30 amp breaker below the 200amp.
This unit is then pressed on to both breakers and screwed down at the main breaker. Pretty nice setup. The problem I have once I reinstall the front panel cover the cover rubs against the interlock where I can't throw the main switch has anyone run into this before?
Also per code all bedrooms need to have AFCI breakers at the panel.
We made one big bedroom during constructions a media room not just by name but by the amount of coax/audio feeds in the room which feed the whole house. The elect. contractor still installed the AFCI.
I understand AFCI and Generators don't mix. I want to replace the 15 amp AFCI with a normal breaker and leave the AFCI in a zip lock bag at the main panel with notes on what I have done what do you think?

Jeff

Old 12-31-06, 04:13 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Regarding the breaker interlock. You need to contact the supply house you purchased from, or the MFG regarding proper installation.

Regarding the AFCI, if the room is not a bed room, it does not need one. I would not worry about what someone in the future may or may not use the room for. The people who built my house had no way of knowing that one of what they thought were bed rooms, would actually be used as a huge storage shed..

Old 12-31-06, 06:10 AM
R
Inspectors generally follow this rule: A room with a closet is a bedroom. Obviously this wouldn't apply for the living room or for some other room that has an obvious purpose. However, homeowners often have other ideas.

I see no problem with removing the AFCI breaker since the room is not being used as a bedroom.

But before you do, you might want to leave it in place and see if you need to. Your comment about generators and AFCI circuits is not accurate.

Old 12-31-06, 07:09 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And not too far down the road... Most if not all your 120V ckts may be AFCI.

Old 12-31-06, 08:22 AM
J
[QUOTE=jwhite;1099066]Regarding the breaker interlock. You need to contact the supply house you purchased from, or the MFG regarding proper installation.

I have contacted Siemens by e-mail and phone before I bought it.
As the picture on the web site showed one unit 200 amp and 30 or so double below it with is metal across the top. 2-days later of talks proved to me they had no idea what they sell. The Elect. supply co. is just that. They sell the parts only. I will build out the cover a bit to clear the slider.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 12-31-06, 08:34 AM
J
Originally Posted by racraft
Inspectors generally follow this rule: A room with a closet is a bedroom.

I see no problem with removing the AFCI breaker since the room is not being used as a bedroom.

But before you do, you might want to leave it in place and see if you need to. ****Your comment about generators and AFCI circuits is not accurate.
Please Elaborate ****

I thought once the un clean generator power sees the AFICI you would lose the Benefit of the AFICI and perhaps burn it out? Think they run about $40.00

Old 12-31-06, 08:56 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
"Inspectors generally follow this rule: A room with a closet is a bedroom. Obviously this wouldn't apply for the living room or for some other room that has an obvious purpose. However, homeowners often have other ideas."

I agree that many inspectors use this rule of thumb, but unless there is a state or local code on this issue they are oversteping thier authority. Many people like the idea of a closet in the office or bonus room. (in a fat house that is usually a room above the garage where the kids get their own tv and such)

IMHO if the room has all the stuff to make it a media room, then it is a media room. I agree that someone could come along later and put a bed in there, but I have seen this done in living rooms also.

I have no comment on the AFCI and Generator issue, because I have no idea as to the answer.

Old 12-31-06, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'll second the generator/afci mix is fine.

Ran for weeks on generator power after Ivan, no problem with the 7 AFCI's in my breaker box.

Old 01-02-07, 03:35 PM
J
Pendragon,

What did you have them connected too like TV's , computers or just lights?

Thanks

Jeff

Old 01-03-07, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
TV's, computers, lights, clocks, all your usual household items.

That being said, ALL electronics (and some of the lights) in my house have UPS's on them. I hate resetting VCR clocks or waiting for the cable box to come back online.

Only thing that didn't run was the heat pump and electric dryer on heat (too much power), air dry was ok. Water heater (electric), microwave, range (gas), etc.

You get real popular when you are the only house on the block with hot water and a working microwave/stove!

Old 01-03-07, 07:14 PM
J
Pendragon,
Well the UPS may have something to do with your electronics working without have problems on the generator as it works as a filter if I remember.
Most of us around here in PNW have generators. We have always had propane for the water heater and lopi stove. Nice to have a hot shower!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: