Help with correct wires

Old 12-31-06, 12:47 PM
Help with correct wires

I am ready to wire my detached garage for 100 amp service and was told that I need to use either #6 copper or #4 aluminum wire. My question is this: I went to my local Home Depot and looked at the wire chart and it shows #4 wire with 1 single copper wire but i need 4 wires(2 hot, 1 nuetral, and 1 ground). Do I use 4 of these or the 4-2-2-2 wire? Also, the entry point where my service goes from my meter to my house is about a foot or so off the ground. Do I match that entry point from the underground conduit at the house and the garage? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-06, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by dpb894 View Post
Do I use 4 of these or the 4-2-2-2 wire?

.....Also, the entry point where my service goes from my meter to my house is about a foot or so off the ground. Do I match that entry point from the underground conduit at the house and the garage?
Just semantically, I don't know how the rest of the world does it, but for me a "wire" is one conductor and a "cable" is more than one conductor in a common sheath or binding. So the 4-2-2-2 would be cable, right?

Are you putting a 100A breaker in your house's main loadcenter to make the garage a subpanel?

What is the distance the wire needs to be run?

What do you mean by "match that entry point"?

Old 12-31-06, 03:09 PM
1) So would I use the single copper #4 "wire" 4 times through the conduit to supply the 2 hot, 1 nuetral, and 1 ground connections?
2) My garage is only 10 feet from the back of my house.
3) By entry point I mean the hole where the the LB from the meter goes through the frame of the house. Do I match that, or can I put the LB for the garage close to the ground? When I ran the underground conduit I cut it off at ground level. Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-31-06, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by dpb894 View Post
1) So would I use the single copper #4 "wire" 4 times through the conduit to supply the 2 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground connections?
2) My garage is only 10 feet from the back of my house.
3) By entry point I mean the hole where the the LB from the meter goes through the frame of the house. Do I match that, or can I put the LB for the garage close to the ground? When I ran the underground conduit I cut it off at ground level. Thanks again for the help!
First off I am not an electrician and some of your questions really need answers from somebody better than me. Maybe they're all taking the day off.
Opinions:
1. Well, that's the right idea but you said 4 AWG Al or 6 AWG Cu before. Sizing is determined by tables in the NEC. Sorry my sizing experience stops at around 50A. You can identify the conductors on both ends with electrical tape, for example black & red for the hots, white or grey for the neutral, and green for the black.

And yes, in conduit you're better off with individual conductors. I would use THWN (wet rated) if using copper, but I am not familiar with ratings for Aluminum.
2. So you don't have to derate for distance.
3. You can figure out what looks best, will be least likely to be damaged, and works best in terms of pulling wire.