Need some advice dealing with JCP&L (Central NJ)....

Old 08-07-06, 07:28 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some advice dealing with JCP&L (Central NJ)....

Back in Jan 06, I upgraded my panel to 200AMP. Prior to the upgrade, I called JCP&L to verify the service wire capacity (pole to masthead) and was told that once the panel was upgraded, JCP&L will upgrade the wire.

At the time of the upgrade, my electrician also confirmed that the wire should be replaced so he used temporary "bugs" . After passing the inspection, no one from JCPL came out so I called couple of times in Feb and Mar and was told that someone would be out eventually. Then I kind of forgot about the whole thing (my inspector said because the weather has been cold, I would have low priority in getting my service wires replaced).

Fast forward to today. Nothing happened so I finally called JCP&L again; this time I was told that the wire would not be replaced because the load on it was small and that a lineman determined that the wire was in good condition. What bothered me the most was when I told the CSR that my usage will dramatically increase (I'm setting up racks of Cisco equipment for CCIE study), she simply said that I should call JCP&L when the wires burn off!!. She also said that it was my electrician's responsibility to replace these bugs with permanent insulated crimps.

My electrician informed me that he does not carry JCP&L's crimp equipment and laughed when I told him about the "burning wire" story. He suggested that JCL&L was trying to save money (due to high copper prices) and recommended that I speak to someone else.

Sorry for the long story, but can someone recommend me how I can best approach my dilemma?

Kevin

Old 08-07-06, 07:36 AM
R
Give them another chance.

Then contact your state public service commission and your state attorney general.

Old 08-07-06, 08:38 AM
W
Originally Posted by kevin2010
Sorry for the long story, but can someone recommend me how I can best approach my dilemma?

Kevin
You are talking to the wrong level emoloyee. I don't know the titles for the employees in your area but I suggest you give the district manager a call. Give him the same info yuu posted.
If that does not help go to the top man in you area. He will get it done. I have been on the utility side.

"she simply said that I should call JCP&L when the wires burn off!!."
Only a idiot would say that.

Old 08-07-06, 02:37 PM
V
I'm in NJ too, altho I deal with PSE&G more often.

Then contact your state public service commission and your state attorney general.
What is that going to do? Other than an idiotic statement by a call center employee, the POCO isn't doing anything wrong. They run the show, they will say that the lines are perfectly satisfactory (especially since they are free-air).

BTW, "temporary bugs" around here are most commonly Romex Connectors. They are good when the POCO is coming in a few days, not 6 months. If you're itching to give someone a last chance before calling the authorities on them, it should be your electrician.

Old 08-07-06, 03:15 PM
R
What's going on is this.

A call center employee made an asinine statement )wires burning off) and also made one that may or may not be correct (the wires are the correct size for the load).

The point is, an electrician made a determination that the wires were too small. The electrician didn't say they may be too small, he/she said they are too small.

If my electrician said that then I would do everything I could to either get larger wires installed by the power company or to get their statement in writing that the wires are appropriately sized.

Yes. it is the power company's call. But they need to make that call, not some person in a call center reading from a script. And they need all the information, including that the load will be dramatically increased in a very short time period.

Old 08-07-06, 03:21 PM
V
Originally Posted by racraft
Yes. it is the power company's call. But they need to make that call, not some person in a call center reading from a script. And they need all the information, including that the load will be dramatically increased in a very short time period.
They already did that:

this time I was told that the wire would not be replaced because the load on it was small and that a lineman determined that the wire was in good condition.

Old 08-07-06, 03:35 PM
R
Originally Posted by VoltageHz
They already did that:
Read the original posts. The statements in question were made without knowledge that the load would increase. Knowing that the load will increase might (or might not) make them change their tune. The point is, they would have the information. They do not, except for the CSR who made an "idiotic statement" (your term).

Old 08-07-06, 03:41 PM
V
Originally Posted by racraft
Read the original posts. The statements in question were made without knowledge that the load would increase. Knowing that the load will increase might (or might not) make them change their tune. The point is, they would have the information. They do not, except for the CSR who made an "idiotic statement" (your term).
From what I read, he told the rep. that the load has increased, and even when he called today their stance is that the lines are fine.

In the end, the POCO will do as they please. Calling the state attorney general will do nothing other than increase my taxes.

Old 08-07-06, 05:39 PM
R
I don't know what you are reading, but the original poster here has posted once. The only one at the power company who heard about the increased load is the CSR, who doesn't seem to care.

As I have stated, the proper solution is to give them a chance and then complain, assuming you trust your electrician.

Old 08-08-06, 07:12 AM
K
Sup boys-

I am going to send JCP&L a certified letter outlining my conversation with their CSR. I am going to put them on a notice that should any negative consequences arise from their position that they will be held liable. Let's see how fast they respond.....

Thanks for your feedback.

Kevin

Old 08-08-06, 07:20 AM
R
Make sure that you indicate why you upgraded to 200 amp service, and that your power needs will be increasing in the future. It's important that they understand that any tests they may have done were not done under the anticipated load.

I would also detail the statements made by the CSR.

They may or may not do anything in regards to your service lines, but at least you will have their attention.

Old 01-01-07, 08:07 AM
K
Kind of late but better late than never.

I ended up getting the NJ Board of Public Utilities involved. BPU and JCPL reviewed my telephone conversation with JCPL's cust. rep and decided that the "proper" response was not given to me.

To make the long story short, JPCL crew came out and replaced the overhead wires.

Thanks again guys for your help!

kevin

Old 01-01-07, 10:06 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Similarities here.

Ive' been told several times over the years "wait 'till they burn off". All residential accounts. I just shrug, After all, their engineers are in possession of my info.

Here, We are responsable for permanent connections at the mast/weather head.
We need a servo # from any utility before upgrades, for their engineers.
The utilities are the only ones allowed to cut the meter tags and power (some are more flexible than others).
You best have a generator,They disconnect at the handhole or pole.

Old 01-01-07, 03:31 PM
J
Unrealted, but on a 20 amp circuit you can run many many racks of Cisco gear. Everything short of a PIX uses very little electricity, and even the PC based pix are 100-150 watts max.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: