Code Clarification

Old 01-01-07, 12:31 AM
Code Clarification

800.133(A)(2): "Communications wires and cables shall be separated at least 50mm (2 inches) from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1, non-power-limited fire alarm, or medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits.

Exception 1: where either (1) all of the conductors of the electric light, power, network-powered broadband communications circuits are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, nonmetallic-sheathed, Type AC, or Type UF cables, or (2) all of the conductors of communications circuits are encased in a raceway.

I have a series of 2-inch holes drilled through 2x12 floor joists in a basement that is being remodeled. (The holes were pre-existing - I don't know why they were drilled by previous owners.) I have run two 12/2 w/g NM cables through the holes, and would like to pull two CAT-5e, a few speaker, and one R6 coax cable through them as well.

From reading the exception above, as long as the electric cable is sheathed, I can pull the data cables through the same holes. Is this correct?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-07, 06:05 AM
Do not pull the low voltage wires (Cat-5, coax, etc.) through the same hole as the electric wires. You will not like the results.

Old 01-01-07, 06:23 AM
you are both correct. It is legal to do what you are saying, but you will not like the results.

The code is telling you that by doing this noone is likely to die in a house fire. the code is more concerned with safety than functionality.

the electrical lines will cause interference on the other lines and your equipment may not work well.

Old 01-01-07, 12:03 PM
I suspected as much. Darn! Those 2-inch holes have tons of room left! I guess I'll have to get the hole hawg out and drill another run.

Can I pull all the com cables through the new 1-inch hole I drill, or do I need separate holes by type?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-01-07, 02:25 PM
Your Low voltage cables need not be seperated, the only reason we say too keep from using same holes as electric is because of interferance. Lo So yes, you can pull all your low voltage cables thro one hole.

Old 01-01-07, 03:46 PM
OK - guess I'll be firing up the old hawg drill. Thanks everyone!