? about ice maker water line near electrical outlet

Old 01-01-07, 09:51 PM
? about ice maker water line near electrical outlet

Does anyone know if there are any codes against installing an ice maker water line through the floor near an electrical outlet that is on the wall?

I'm actually moving my current ice maker water line because I'm moving my frig. It is currently tapped into my main water line under the house. Is there anyway to move it from the line to under the sink? And how would you plug the puncture made in the main water line ,under the house, by the saddle valve?

Last edited by thoughtfulmom; 01-01-07 at 10:30 PM. Reason: can't spell
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 02:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is no rule next to the receptacle.

Just shut off the old saddle valve and leave it there.
Buy a new one,relocate the existing tube.

Old 01-02-07, 05:33 AM
How do I get the saddle shut off suffeciently? We have tried, but there is still a steady drip. Did I mention the saddle is tapped into the MAIN water line under the house? I have NO IDEA why it wasn't run to the kitchen sink. We were planning to use the saddle as a shut-off valve, but couldn't get it to stop dripping.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-02-07, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
The saddle valve may be either 1/4" flare or compression. At a hardware store or plumbing supply you should be able to get a cap to go on the saddle valve. Caps are available for other configurations too. Other ways but that is the simplest.

Last resort you could take a short length of copper tubing, connect to an adapter to female pipe, use a pipe cap on the adapter and fasten the copper tubing to the valve (or just flatten the tubing and seal with solder).

Old 01-02-07, 02:13 PM
Remove the saddle, cut the pipe and splice with a pipe coupler. Under the sink, use a real valve, not a saddle valve.

Old 01-02-07, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
The coupler referred to by classicsat is often called a Dresser coupling in the trade. Do not get the plastic ones. The cheap stamped sheet metal ones may work if your lucky. The best are the heavy cast steel ones. They have slightly conical washers that seem to seal better then the straight sided washers in the stamped sheet metal ones.