carpet - remodeling (Wiring under carpet)

Old 01-02-07, 07:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
carpet - remodeling (Wiring under carpet)

I am in the process of remodeling. I would like to place electrical and computer connections in the middle of the room. The room is a second floor room and will have new carpeting installed. Is there a "right way" to accomplish this? How should the carpet be modified? (ie tack strips, glue, glue strip, stapled or?) Is there any type of hardware you would recommend? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-02-07, 11:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have any way to access the space between the upstairs flooring and the downstairs ceiling, you can cut the hole in the floor for the receptacles and fish the wires to it. If not, use a router and create a channel in the floor for the wires to pass through, get the wires run, and then cover the channel with metal strips made for that purpose. I see this method used a lot in log cabin style homes where there's no space to hide wires. This way, you won't feel the wires under the carpet and the metal protects them from pad staples and such. The carpet is installed as usual and requires no particular modification. Remove the covers to any in-floor receptacles before laying out the carpet and make sure you can keep track of where said receptacles are once they're covered with carpet, and then install the carpet as if they weren't there. Cut out and stuff the receptacle areas after the carpet is installed and replace the covers. There are several types of receptacles and some are handled differently, so knowing what you're using before hand will help in advising how to prepare them before carpet installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: