new 200 amp panel

Old 12-30-06, 10:41 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question new 200 amp panel

I just hired an electrical firm to install a 200 amp service panel for my house. When I ran the wire to the original 100 amp service, I calculated the amps (and possible future amps) for each circuit. I just realized that they combined numerous circuits into one breaker. I'm not too happy right now. But for the real question. I had them back to break out one circuit, and it's still wrong), but I am getting voltage on the neutral of that circuit. I've already gotten zapped a couple of times, not realizing it had voltage. (The breaker was off) That shouldn't be happening, should it?

Last edited by girlbuilder; 12-30-06 at 10:42 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-30-06, 10:46 AM
ummm...we would like a little more info please. SO in you calculations you over sized the (original) wire to be able to support 200 amps? When they installed the panel wht were their reasons for doubling up the ckts? You obviously got hit by the neutral due to it now being a multiwire ckt. All ckts feeding that particular neutral need to be shut off for it not be energized. I hope this helps a little.

Old 12-30-06, 12:23 PM
B
Backfeed. Alot of old schools i work for have htis problem.

Old 01-02-07, 05:35 PM
G
200 amp circuit

Thanks for responding. Why they doubled up on the circuits beats me. Maybe it's easier that way, who knows. I'm a novice at electrical and check and double check my work. Every circuit I wired into the original service panel has quite a bit amperage less than the amps allowed, so I'm not tripping breakers, yet. This is going to be a huge house when we're done, so I've tried to anticipate future usage, for when we sell.
They will be here Thursday to fix their problems, Grrrrr. I do not like to work with hot wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: