Controlling fan or light or both with 1 switch?

Old 01-02-07, 10:17 AM
Controlling fan or light or both with 1 switch?

I have one bathroom switch that turns on both the fan and the lights. Are there switches available to control either the light, fan, or both combined into 1 switch. My goal is not to run any new wires or make any more holes in the wall.

Thanks in advace.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 10:22 AM
You would have to examine the wiring at the switch and at the fan. The most likely answer is that you would have to run additional wires.

Old 01-02-07, 10:36 AM
Here is my wiring to the switch. Looks like one wire is control?ing the lights above the sink and then one wire is controlling the fan?

http://pazgb.brinkster.net/images/bathroom_switch_wiring.bmp

Does this picture help at all?

Old 01-02-07, 10:42 AM
No, the picture does not help.

Tell me how many cables enter/leave the box, how many wires per cable, and how those wires are connected to anything. Be as specific as possible.

Old 01-02-07, 10:54 AM
This is what I can see in the switch box.

2 white wires on a wirenut
2 back wires and 1 red wire hooked upto 1 end of the switch

Looks like the red wire is coming into the box alone. Im guessing the red is the hot lead and the 2 other black wires are turning on the fan and the switch?

3 total cables
---------------
2 cables with white and black
1 cable with just red

Old 01-02-07, 11:12 AM
No. You are not correct. The red wire comes in with one set of the white and black. You are going to have to pull the switch out. I need to know what two wires connect to one of the switch terminals and what wire connects to the other switch terminal.

Old 01-02-07, 11:24 AM
The red and 2 blacks are all connected to the bottom terminal, nothing is connected to the top terminal. 2 white wires are nutted together.

So there are 2 cables.

One cable(black, white, red)
One cable(black, white)

Please let me know if you need anything else. Once again, thank you for helping me out.

Old 01-02-07, 11:42 AM
If the wires are all connected to the same terminal of the switch then the switch serves no purpose and does nothing.

Old 01-02-07, 12:09 PM
my bad, the red is on the top terminal and 2 black on the bottom. 2 whites are nutted

Old 01-02-07, 12:38 PM
The wiring leads me to believe that you will need new wiring to achieve what you want. Knowing the exact wiring at the fan/light will confirm this.

Old 01-02-07, 01:44 PM
jn
You may or may not have all the wiring you need to do want you want.
Do you know which wire is supplying the power?
If it is the one by itself on the switch, it is probable that the 2 wires on the other side of the switch are for the light and fan (one for each).
If this is the case and you take one of the black wires off the switch, you should not have power to either the light or fan and vice versa if you take the other black off and put the first one back.
If this is the case, you could buy a special switch, two switches that only take up one spot. They are common and can be found in most hardware stores.