Please don't send me back in that vermaculite attic

Old 01-02-07, 12:24 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please don't send me back in that vermaculite attic

The wife was kind enough to let me use the extended weekend to start on a project long coming. We moved into our house early summer 2006. The wiring on the house started off mostly K&T and two wire NM, some BX. I paid to have an electrician up our pushmatic main to a 200 amp Cutler Hammer. Now, I'm up in the attic in the evenings pulling out all the wiring and replacing it with 12 and 14 NM. It wouldn't be so miserable, except the insulation is vermaculite which we're sending off to get tested for asbestos. Anyone hazard a guess as to what it will come back with?

So tonight, tomorrow, the next day, and into the weekend, I'll be up there with my respirator and boxer shorts pulling wire. I just wish I could come up a reason to procrastinate just a little while longer.

Oh, no question, just not looking forward to going home.

Old 01-02-07, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good luck. Least you're smarter then some people by working with a respirator.
When was the house built? It was set into law I believe in 1991 that you cannot use asbestos based products, though I think they stopped using it in homes earlier then that.

Old 01-02-07, 01:28 PM
F
Well, the house is at least 85 years old. I didn't find any gas piping for lights, so it isn't over 100 years. But I have found plenty of coal clinkers.

Old 01-02-07, 01:30 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd wear long pants, and long sleeves.

Old 01-02-07, 01:43 PM
L
Talking

So do "you" (in general terms) still think $60-$75/hour is unreasonable?

Just wait for the Abatement bill.

You, only have 1 job to do. If it was always easy and fun, Everyone would do it. No?

Definately cover up! It makes it much hotter and comfortable (especialy in August).Are you out of your mind?

Old 01-02-07, 01:45 PM
F
Originally Posted by jwhite
I'd wear long pants, and long sleeves.
Well, it isn't ichy, but the wife is making me throw away anything I wear up there. My first load of clothes went through two wash cycles and still had the silver sparkles.

Old 01-02-07, 03:17 PM
Two suggestions...One get a really big shop vac...Two Hire Ol' lectrcicLee over there He'd love to do it. (Of course you have to wait until Summer). $60-75/hr...man i need to hire you.

Old 01-02-07, 08:35 PM
L
Wink

1 & a 1/2 man show. Extra for the 1/2.

You make it sound like I'm low. (residential). Call!

Old 01-09-07, 10:00 AM
F
Great news. I sent a sample of the vermaculite to a lab and the results were no asbestos. I keep finding pistachio nut shells mixed in with the insulation, but that didn't show up on the lab tests

I'm still only about half way done with the lights. I have my big pulls done, just stapling and drilling holes. Man, it takes forever when you have to cut holes for the ceiling fans and keep things tidy below. Probably in the next week or so, I'll be able to kill off a huge circuit of K&T, that will be a good day.

Old 01-09-07, 10:48 AM
K
Originally Posted by Fubar411
Great news. I sent a sample of the vermaculite to a lab and the results were no asbestos. I keep finding pistachio nut shells mixed in with the insulation, but that didn't show up on the lab tests

I'm still only about half way done with the lights. I have my big pulls done, just stapling and drilling holes. Man, it takes forever when you have to cut holes for the ceiling fans and keep things tidy below. Probably in the next week or so, I'll be able to kill off a huge circuit of K&T, that will be a good day.
in my experience, nut shells = squirrels or (in my case, flying squirrels).

while you are up there, you may want to try to find a hole (approx. the size of a dime). try doing it during the day so you can see the light shining in and seal it with a steel mesh screen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: