Switches, GFCS, Fluorescent->Recessed, Disposal, Permits

Old 01-02-07, 05:14 PM
Switches, GFCS, Fluorescent->Recessed, Disposal, Permits

First, I have two 2 switch light switches. One switch on both of the switches control the same lights. However, when I turn off the lights with the back set then turning on the lights with the front set will fail. I was wondering that either the switches are bad, or more likely the load is being interrupted by being wired incorrectly. If it helps, the switches control fluorescent kitchen lights that are also having problems. I think that I have some bad fixtures because I keep changing the bulbs and they fail to light properly.

Second, my house was built in 87 and it doesn't have GFCS plugs. Do I need to change these out? and how can you tell if your electrical box is up to code?

Third, (I think) I have wires for a disposal but no disposal. The wires are laying on the bottom of the cabinet. I think that there is a breaker for this, but the lettering and marking on the box is faded. Should I leave this breaker off not knowing if other things are connected to it. Also should I configure it so that it is not laying on the floor of the cabinet underneath the sink?

Finally, I was thinking about replacing my fluorescent lighting with recessed lighting. Can two recessed lighting work out of one fluorescent socket? I also heard a rumor that in florida that it is required to have fluorescent lighting in the kitchen and bathroom is this true or can I change it to recessed? Lastly on this topic do I need a permit to change the lights from fluorescent to recessed?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 05:25 PM
I suspect that the lights are not wired properly for the switches being used. This is easy to verify by looking at the wires.

Wiring only needs to be up to code for when it was installed. I would certainly install GFCIs if I did not have them.

You should determine NOW before you attempt to do any work what is on each and every breaker and what breaker controls each and every light, receptacle and appliance in your house. Use the labels in the panel as a starting point, but do not trust any of them. Verify everything. This information can be very important when you have a problem, but more importantly it could save your life.

I do not understand your question about fluorescent lighting, and I do not know Florida laws in regards to lighting.

Old 01-02-07, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
racraft,
I think he was wondering if he can get rid of his fluorecent lighting in his kitchen and baths, and install recessed lighting on that same circuit.

::: I'll listen in because I want too do the same thing:::: :-p

Old 01-02-07, 08:22 PM
Taht may be a problem in Fla..just because of the electricity requirements as far as heat and all in the deep south...as far as it being a feasible task...yes, assuming that you will not be over loading the ckt...I'm assuming Bob has told everyone about that by now...but it never gets old..."always know what is on every ckt in your house if you know that then you know whether you can or cannot add onto this ckt...but yes it is doable...even without tearing up sheet rock...too bad

Old 01-03-07, 02:21 PM
thank you all

Thank you all for the help! I'll look into the miss wiring problem. I may just try to fix or replace the flourescent lights because its probably easier, and that is what I already. I've done that before so I should be ok. I'll have to enlist a helper to yell at me when the power goes off when I do the circuit breaker test

What about the wires to the disposal? Is that what it is or something else? If it is I might want to install one.

Old 01-03-07, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should not have live hot wires dangling down into that cabinet. I'm sure you could install a junction box under there to pull these loose wires into and cap the lines off.