whole house surge protectors

Old 01-02-07, 05:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
whole house surge protectors

Do they work. I am in the process of upgrading my service to 200 amps , so thought might do it now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 07:34 PM
If you're looking to get rid of all the surge suppressors around the house, you'll be disappointed. But still, it's a good idea to install primary surge suppression ("transient voltage surge suppressor" or TVSS) at the panel to absorb much larger surges than the power strips can take. At the same time, you need to keep using those surge suppressors right at the equipment you're protecting. You may want to use an uninterruptible power supply for sensitive and expensive electronics, such as computers and entertainment systems, to further protect them from flickering power that can cause damage even without high voltage surges.

I've got one on my panel, and nothing in the house has been fried yet :-)

Old 01-02-07, 07:43 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
You question is really too vague to answer. Surge protectors have different styles and different levels of protection (usually correlated to cost). Moreover, different appliances are more sensitive to surges than others. Whole house surge protectors do protect your appliances to some degree, but nothing will protect your stuff from a close lighting strike for example. There are also metallic pathways other than power lines that can deliver surge damage like phone lines, cable TV, and satellite dishes for which additional surge protection should be added.

If you have questions about a specific surge protector (brand and model) or want a meaningful comparison between two models, please post back the details. Otherwise, the best answer anyone can provide is that a whole house surge protector will prevent damage to some appliances for some surge conditions.

Old 01-02-07, 10:29 PM
C
Thanks for your posts. I dont have much knowledge about whole house surge protectors...actually heard about them yesterday while browsing through this forum.

I am upgrading my service ..so I thought this may be a good time to do. So if you guys can suggest a dependable brand, will appreciate that

Old 01-03-07, 05:19 AM
we had one put in when we upgraded our panel , its a square d , installed in the panel . we live in the "lightning capital " of the US and have had no problems with surges nor had any damage since.

its the only suppressor we use , I dont have them on all electronics just the panel

I highly recommend it , I would talk to the electrician and get his advice

Old 01-03-07, 07:40 AM
A
I have a Cutler Hammer 200A CH42 panel with a CHSA surge arrester.

Suggestions:

1. If you're replacing a smaller old panel look into the specific 200A remodeler/upgrade load centers manufactured with more neutral connections toward the top of the enclosure. That way it's less likely those wires would have to be spliced.

2. CH recommends installation of the CHSA at either side of the top of the panel, to provide the best protection. It is two-pole so it takes up two breaker spaces. I mention this because if you're replacing an old panel, it's sometimes harder to relocate loads on the top of the panel, to lower positions because the wires are too short.

3. CH recommends that the neutral (white) lead on the CHSA be trimmed as short as possible. Supposedly this reduces the response time.

Old 01-03-07, 07:49 PM
C
by load center, do you mean the panel where the circuit breakers are put in?
I am planning to do a 200 amps upgrade with ITE(Siemens?0 panel with 40 slots)

Last edited by christy123; 01-04-07 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 05:15 AM
A
Originally Posted by christy123 View Post
by load center, do you mean the panel where the circuit breakers are put in?
Yes. I don't know the full history or definitions from the NEC, but in this context I use the terms interchangeably.

Old 01-04-07, 05:42 AM
the squared we have fits in the panel at the bottom just like a 240 breaker

they are also available that fit on the meter or next to it .or next to the panel

you can also check with your power company and see if they offer one a lot do

Old 01-04-07, 08:32 PM
C
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
Yes. I don't know the full history or definitions from the NEC, but in this context I use the terms interchangeably.

thanks ...i was not being critical ...i am so naive with this stuff that i wanted to make sure that you didnt mean something else.

Old 01-04-07, 08:56 PM
C
I believe Siemens makes one for their panels that takes two slots, but also integrates two single pole breakers, so you don't loose breaker space in the panel. Assuming ITE is to Siemens as Murray is to Siemens, you can probably get it ITE branded.

(From all appearances, Murray breakers and Siemens breakers are identical other than the label...Siemens owns Murray. I think they also own ITE, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true there.)