ARCing switch

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-02-07, 05:58 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 197
ARCing switch

what would cause a switch to give a tiny spark when its switched on?
I can only see it when its dark and it has bothered me since the first time I saw it..
the switch controls a outside light that uses two 150w bulbs and it has a outlet in the same box as the switch.
everything works fine except for the tiny spark.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-02-07, 06:02 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
All connections that are made or broken cause a small spark. You don't notice it most of the time, especially when the light is on. A small spark is nothing to worry about.
 
  #3  
Old 01-02-07, 06:04 PM
Sthrnamp's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mid TN
Posts: 188
The electrical draw of the 300 watts is the cause of the electric spark being detectable...Anytime you have a disconnect of power while power is being used (I know it seems like an oxymoron)you will cause a "spark" or arcing
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'