Attached garage sub-panel

Old 01-04-07, 11:44 AM
Attached garage sub-panel

My 100 amp service entrance is at the back of my house. I am planning on putting a 60 amp with 120/240v sub-panel in my attached garage. I am planning to use a 60 amp 2 pole breaker at the main panel. I want to run 6 gauge NM (3 conductors and a ground) thru the attic and to a MLO 8 circuit load center. My attic stops at the garage so I want to run the NM in conduit for protection to the sub-panel. My questions are: 1) Is the breaker at the main panel considered a proper disconnect? 2) Will I need a seperate ground rod for the sub-panel? ( All wiring in in the same structure ). Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have been using several references to develop this plan including the NEC, so any code reference would help. Thanks Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-07, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> MLO 8 circuit load center

Make sure to keep the grounds and neutrals isolated in the subpanel. This requires buying a ground bar kit for the panel and removing the bonding strap or screw.

> My attic stops at the garage so I want to run the NM in conduit
> for protection to the sub-panel.

You say the attic stops. Will the conduit leave the structure at any point running along the outside of the building? If so, you can't use the NM cable. If the path of the cable is enclosed from the weather along the entire path, then 6/3 NM is just fine with conduit sleeve where required.

> Is the breaker at the main panel considered a proper disconnect?

Yes.

> Will I need a seperate ground rod for the sub-panel?

No.

Old 01-04-07, 01:23 PM
Thanks Ben!!

The wiring is all inside. Most of the NM (90%) will be in the attic. The attic stops where the garage begins, but it is still under the same roof. The garage has no finished drywall ceiling, the trusses are exposed. Drywall separates the attic from the garage and so I plan on putting the NM in conduit as it goes thru the drywall, into the garage and straight down to the subpanel ( about 5 ft. long ). Again, thanks for the reply!