questions: adding receptacles to existing kitchen circuit

Old 01-04-07, 11:56 AM
questions: adding receptacles to existing kitchen circuit

As part of a minor kitchen remodel, I want to add one or two new receptacles for counter-top appliances and have the following questions:

1. The kitchen currently has two 20-amp circuits dedicated to appliances. Is it OK to add receptacles to one of these circuits?
2. When a kitchen circuit consists of two or more receptacles, should a GFCI receptacle be installed in only the first receptacle of the circuit or should all receptacles be the GFCI type? I believe either approach is legal but am wondering about the pros and cons?
3. I believe I have read that the refrigerator circuit is not required to be GFCI-protected, and in fact, it is recommended that it not be in order to avoid food spoilage if the GFCI is tripped. Correct?
4. When adding to a circuit, what is the best way to get the romex through corner studs, in order to add a receptacle on a perpendicular wall? I'm prepared to tear up the sheetrock as necessary, and am trying to determine how to get through the studs in the corner? Only thing I can think of is carefully drill a hole from both sides of the corner and hope that the holes meet somewhere in the middle of the studs? Is that the way to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-07, 12:05 PM
1) As long as the receptacles you are adding are also serving the kitchen counter and as long as you maintain the 12 gage wire you can add these receptacles.

2) If the two circuits are completely separate then you can use a GFCI receptacle as the first on each circuit, and have it protect the entire circuit. Or you can make each receptacle a GFCI.

Each receptacle as a GFCI means you will know exactly where the fault occurred. It will, however, cost you more.

3) The refrigerator is not required to be GFCI protected, as long as the receptacle is not accessible for anything else. Newer GFCI receptacles are better at avoiding false trips from motors, but I would still not put a refrigerator on a GFCI protected circuit unless I absolutely had to.

4) The best way is to run the cable down in to the basement below the kitchen or up into the atic above the kitchen so you can avoid the corner altogether.

Old 01-04-07, 11:06 PM
Yes, as long as the circuit can adequately serve the loads, you can add as many receptacles as you want. They do not have to serve only counter top surface areas but they must serve the kitchen, dining, pantry, breakfast nook or similar areas. The only “small appliance” receptacles that require GFCI protection are the ones that serve the counter top areas. Otherwise, it doesn’t matter if it serves refrigeration or any other receptacle in the kitchen, dining, pantry, breakfast nook or similar areas.