Garage receptacle wiring

Old 01-04-07, 12:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage receptacle wiring

I have a subpanel in the garage and would like to add two new 20 amp circuits for receptacles. In each of four receptacle junction boxes, I would like to have two duplex receptacles, each duplex receptacle being connected to one of the 20 amp circuits.

What is the professional, safe and most cost effective way of doing this?
1. Double pole GFCI breaker feeding a 12/3 with ground (multiwire configuration), 8 standard 15 amp receptacles
2. Double pole breaker feeding a 12/3 with ground (multiwire configuration), 8 GFCI 15 amp receptacles
3. Two single pole breakers feeding 12/2/2 with ground, 2 GFCI receptacles, 6 standard receptacles
4. Two single pole breakers feeding two runs of 12/2 with ground, 2 GFCI receptacles, 6 standard receptacles
5. Something else--here's what I would do

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-04-07, 12:29 PM
R
All of those methods are safe, provided the cables are properly protected.

Option 4 is probably cheapest, for the average homeowner.

Old 01-04-07, 12:40 PM
Y
Wink

If it was for my garage I would use 2 circuit breakers, 20 A. single pole.

Run 1/2" EMT from the panel to the first 4" square (deep) box and then on to the other 3, 4"square (deep ) boxes.

Install one each of red, black and green conductors (I like THHN wire) and two white conductors. Mark the whites so you know which one goes with the black circuit and which white goes with the red circuit.

Now install one GFCI receptacle on each circuit in the first box. These will protect the next ones downstream. Be careful not to mix the neutrals. You will need to get double GFCI and receptacle covers, probably at a supply house.

Old 01-04-07, 12:41 PM
C
Thanks very much for the reply.

One more question: what is required by NEC and considered practical in terms of the height from the floor that garage receptacles are located?

Old 01-04-07, 12:50 PM
Y
My preference would be around 45" to 48" high. That way you'll be above a work table if you should move one in. I can't think of any code restriction on height in a residential garage.

Old 01-04-07, 01:49 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Some local codes require garage receptacles at 18-24" minimum from the floor. This is to keep potential sparks away from gas/paint/other flammable vapors that may seep along the floor. I agree with the slightly above 4' placement so you can lean 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall without blocking receptacles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: