Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Running coax & phone wire parallel to subpanel 10 guage feeder?

Old 01-05-07, 01:03 AM

I recently had a subpanel put in to my house. This is connected to an exterior main panel with 3 #10 copper running through fmc. A hole was drilled into the floor framing to pass the fmc into the wall from the crawl space. I still have access to this hole and would like to install cable and phone to the room where the sub panel is. The hole will accommodate these additional wires but my question is - will running phone & coax parallel to the feeder wire result in noisy phone & cable reception? This would be run along the fmc not in it of course. I know with audio, I've always run wires perpendicular to any ac cables to avoid any noise problems, but I was wondering if the fmc would serve as enough of a shield that noise transference would not be a problem. It really would be the most convenient way to run the wires if they won't pickup any noise.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 04:30 AM
Do not use the same hole. Keep the electric cables separated from the low voltage ones by at least one foot.

Old 01-05-07, 06:56 AM
"keep electric cables separated from the low voltage ones by at least one foot."

Is this a code requirement? How is the spacing determined? I've seen various spacing distances recommended here.

Old 01-05-07, 07:16 AM
There is no code, but unless he wants terrible interference he NEEDS to keep them at least a foot apart, usually i run them on the opposite wall if possible.