Circuit always has small current flow

Old 01-05-07, 05:33 AM
Circuit always has small current flow

Hi -

I bought an old house, ca 1912, and while renovating part of it discovered what I think may be a problem.

There is a switched light in a closet at the end of a circuit (note the old wiring is just two conductor, no ground). It works fine, but when I put a neon tester on it with the switch off, I found that both the switch and light fixture - a simple ceramic, single bulb one - always lights the neon dimly. When the switch is on, it lights the neon fully as expected.

I checked the connections, and all are tight. The wiring - by color - seems to be correct. I can't easily get to the source wire before it gets to the junction box in the closet. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks...Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 07:40 AM
That would be Backfeed, possibly a shared neutral somewhere ... pretty common wiht older homes ... i have seen it vary from 16 to 42 volts all ready ...

Old 01-05-07, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
That would be Backfeed, possibly a shared neutral somewhere ... pretty common wiht older homes ... i have seen it vary from 16 to 42 volts all ready ...
Thanks for that. Not worth tearing the house apart to fix? I will try to measure the voltage today sometime.

Cheers...Gary