Is this correct

Old 01-05-07, 06:33 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this correct

The inspector is coming out next week to do the rough in inspection on my basement project, and I am starting to sweat over the details. Just want to make sure this one circuit is correct.

A bedroom light fixture is wired under an afci, a run of 14-2 romex comes from the box but first goes through a light in the utility room. Then 14-3 romex from the light into its switch. From there 14-2 into the bedroom light switch and out to the light itself. The outlets are not in the circuit but a 20a afci.

Does the run for the lights described work? Thanks for your input and answers.

Old 01-05-07, 06:43 AM
R
As long as you connect those wires properly it will work.

But understand, the inspector does not care if it works, he or she only cares if it to code.

Old 01-05-07, 10:01 AM
K
I guess that is also my question, if connected to work does this comply with the 2002 nec which is what we use in my jurisdiction?

Old 01-05-07, 10:17 AM
Y
Talking

Checkout the posters name, ky"lawyer". Racraft, be careful answering this post. You must use phrases like, "Is it fair to say," when answering. You also have the right to remain silent.

Old 01-05-07, 10:26 AM
R
Barring a local code amendment, this meets code.

Old 01-05-07, 10:35 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
At the rough inspection, the AHJ will be looking for things like proper installation technique, cable staples, boxes supported correctly, nail plates installed if needed, other types of general workmanship -- a clean jobsite goes a long way. He will also check the receptacle spacing (the 6/12 rule) if you're installing receptacles. He may check for box fill or other minutiae, but with a small job it wouldn't surprise me if he is only there for 45 seconds and says, "looks good" as he's getting back in his car.

Old 01-05-07, 05:46 PM
K
Thanls for the replies, except for needling me about "lawyer", lol. i have set this all up and been through it and through, guess just over stressing. I have all ther bases covered, checked all my box fills, have all my boxes stapled within 8 inches and romex every 4 ft. Ran a load calc for the entire house adding in the load on the 6 new circuits, all the cable pulls are in the center of the studs, all my wire pulls labeled as to what they run and where they go, all the recessed lights wired with metal cable clamps instead of the plastics one built into the cans, all romex neatly pulled with no kinks, boxes and switch boxes all unform height, all romex neatly stapled in the center of the studs running along the stud. I could go, but i think I have it all down.

Old 01-05-07, 05:50 PM
want a job?..looking for helpers...Just in case the "lawyer" thing doesn't work out...lol...Best luck.. Jst curious are your grounds and neutrals made up in the panel? (down here some inspectors come up with the wierdest stuff...check local codes admin.) as long as everything looks neat and within reasonably safe standards I'm with IP I think he'll look at your house during his luch hour and still have time to wait at waffle house.

Old 01-06-07, 10:30 AM
K
No can't open the box until after the rough in, apprently the final is a breeze, the guy told me all he does is pick out a circuit and run his meter to check the continuity of the circuit and grounds. Guess that's why he does a real thorough one on the rough in.

Old 01-06-07, 01:21 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How's he gonna do that? It's a rough. Ok, grounds are good.

Are you supposed to splice them all thru, then unsplice for the final terminations? Makes no sence.

Don't ask, You'll just make him mad.

So now is it "fair to say that....."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: