Aluminum Wiring, no ground

Old 01-05-07, 11:56 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Wiring, no ground

My home was built in 1954 and has (mostly) 2-wire aluminum wiring for the outlets. I have 2 questions:
What is the easiest way to convert the 2 prong to 3 prong? I have heard that I can put a GFCI outlet on the 2-wire system, but haven't been able to find GFCI outlets approved for aluminum wiring.
Secondly, most of the 2 prong outlets pose no problem; I don't need to upgrade them, but have been renovating and want to change them just for appearance. Can I still purchase 2-prong outlets?
BTW I live in Canada....if that matters

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 12:20 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
> What is the easiest way to convert the 2 prong to 3 prong?

Add GFCI protection. I don't know any GFCI receptacles off the top of my head that are CO/ALR rated, but check with an electrical supply house. If you can't find a GFCI receptacle, you can use a GFCI breaker.

With GFCI protection on a circuit, you can replace those 2-prong receptacles with 3-prong receptacles. However, you still must buy 3-prong receptacles rated CO/ALR for the aluminum wire. Same deal for switches.

> Can I still purchase 2-prong outlets?

...that are CO/ALR rated? Check with a supply house, and be prepared for sticker shock. They'll probably be $5 ea.

> Canada

Wait for a poster named "joed"; he is an electrician in Canada and can provide you with more specific information.