Finishing my basement Is this ok

Old 01-05-07, 01:30 PM
Finishing my basement Is this ok

Ok, I am in the process of finishing my basement. It is a 400 sq foot room (40Lx10w). The back 200 sq feet was previously finished, so I knocked down the wall and hope to make a home theater, den, wet bar. I also converted my electric dryer to a gas one. I then changed the 30 amp breaker in the circuit breaker box to a 15amp breaker and installed a blank but did NOT replace the 10/3 wire, I just capped the extra wire on both ends and left it, then attached 14/2 wire from the junction box to feed 14, 75 watt, 6inch recessed lights. Is that ok?

Do I need to replace that 10/3 wire with 14/2 if I am using a 15 Amp breaker?

Previously, there was one 15 amp breaker feeding 3 outlets with 12/2 wire. I continued that feed adding about 10 outlets using 14/2 wire. Is that ok?

I plan on putting a freezer and wine refrigerator in the basement. Should I install a 20 amp breaker in one of the 3 (now 4 since I put a blank in the box) open circuits for the freezer/fridge? Can I also use that 20 amp for my theater or do I need to bring yet another 20 amp for that?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I just capped the extra wire on both ends and left it, then attached
> 14/2 wire from the junction box to feed 14, 75 watt, 6inch recessed
> lights. Is that ok?

> Do I need to replace that 10/3 wire with 14/2 if I am using a 15 Amp
> breaker?

If the dryer wire is copper, has an insulated black or red hot, has an insulated white neutral, and it has a bare (or green insulated) ground wire which you properly connected to the new 14/2, then your installation is legal but ill-advised.

> Previously, there was one 15 amp breaker feeding 3 outlets with 12/2
> wire. I continued that feed adding about 10 outlets using 14/2 wire.
> Is that ok?

Legally, yes. However, I recommend that you make an obvious note on the panel circuit listing indicating that circuit must always have a 15A breaker. The danger in adding #14 wire on the end of a larger wire is that in the future someone may see the #12 (or #10) in the panel and incorrectly increase the breaker to a 20A ignorant of the fact that there is #14 down the line. The same goes for your extended dryer circuit. Leaving a note is a little insurance against that problem.

> Can I also use that 20 amp for my theater or do I need to bring
> yet another 20 amp for that?

I recommend separate 20A circuits for the freezer and the home theater. The compressor motor in the freezer can cause interference in home theater equipment in the form of fuzzy video, cracking or popping audio, and humming in the audio.

Old 01-05-07, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=
Previously, there was one 15 amp breaker feeding 3 outlets with 12/2 wire. I continued that feed adding about 10 outlets using 14/2 wire. Is that ok?
QUOTE]

That is OK but I think you will trip that breaker quite often depending on how much you ask of it. I would have split that five and five. One half with 12/2 with a 20 amp breaker and the other half with 14/2 with a 15 amp breaker. I would plug the heavier duty stuff into the outlets with the 20 amp breaker on them.

What you have done will work but you might trip the breaker. A toaster or TV or radio will be OK on 15 amps but a roaster or air compressor (or something heavy duty like these) will trip it.